When in Doubt Make Your Own - Mid Frame Bisley in 357?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Do you think Ruger will produce a Flat Top Midframe Bisley in 357? Like the 44 spl. I don't shoot 44spl but really like the feel of these small bisleys.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. One of the distributors is bound to order a short run. A Ruger regular production model, not so much.

If I wanted one however, I wouldn't wait. At my age i don't wait for anything, especially something like that which is too easy to make. I'd buy a Bisley 44 FT and a 357 FT and switch the grip frames. Very little work and no fitting or re-finishing needed. If they do come out with one, I'd buy it, swap the parts back on the guns I bought, and re-sell both guns. If not just sell off the 44 and keep the 'homenade' Bisley 357. But that's just me!

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I had not thought of buying two and swapping parts. I suppose the same could be done with a new vaquero bisley then too?

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I've got a mid-frame .357/9mm flattop, and I'm thinking of just buying the parts and converting it. I hadn't considered buying a Bisley and switching parts, then selling the one I didn't want. Worth looking into.

chet15

Hawkeye
Surprised Lipsey's hasn't done one like that. Would probably be a viable model with the right quantity.
Chet15

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I sent Lipsey's an email, figured what the heck, don't get what you don't ask for. In the mean time, I may source the needed revolvers. The Bisley Vaquero or 44 spl are not hard to come by, but the 357 mid frame seem to be a bit tougher.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
This is Lipseys VP of production response.

"Bisley versions of the standard frame Flattops are on my list to do. We did that with the 44 Special and I anticipate doing the same to the 357 and 45 Colt in the future."

There is hope.

Ironically, I just got ahold of a Mid Frame 5.5 for my conversion project.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Well as advised I made my own nm mid frame 357 bisley. 100% better than the original grip feel and the lower hammer spur is great. This was a very simple swap and the new grip frame lined up very well. The only issue I have is the hex screws I was given with the bisley grip frame are not the same thread/size as those for the standard grip frame. I will need to figure that out before I can do some shooting. Sweet handling package I must say.

Thanks for the well timed sale of your bisley grip frame, Todd!

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I too was tired of waiting so I just finished fitting a SS Bisley grip frame to a 357/9mm SS 5.5" flat top. Had a couple of issues to work through in doing it. My goal was not to change any of the original parts. First issue was the anti rotation pawl notch in the new frame had to be fitted some. It was keeping the hammer nose from resting on the frame so I needed to deepen and move the notch just a bit. Maybe 0.02-0.03". Easy to do with a small Dremel burr. Other issue was one of the rear holes (hex screw) needed to be elongated slightly so the screw would line up with the threaded hole in the cylinder frame. The screw holes in the back for the hex screws are the same size and threads as the standard frame. Other than that I just went slow and fitted the grip frame to the cylinder frame sides. The SS used in the grip frame is pretty tough to file to fit but it came out pretty well. I'll post a pic shortly.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I didn't have any alignment issues with the cylinder indexing on GF.

I will take another look at the hex screws again. I was starting to rush and thats when you screw things up.

This was the first time taking apart a new model though, pulling trigger and hammer, I must say the old models sure have a lot less going on down there.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Great result!

All ruger frame screws have the same thread!

Take the hex screw you got and hold it beside the regular screw; the threads should nest together if the hex screw has correct thread. Or try screwing them in the frame hole w/o the grip frame installed to verify.

If they don't you somehow got wrong screws. Call Ruger on Monday and they'll send you free correct screws: (336) 949-5200

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Yes, I tried all that and no juice. The screws came with the GF so the seller thought they were correct. Maybe they are for scope rings? Ruger has a pair on their way. Need to send the GF to Chig to match some knurled walnut I picked out for grip panels. Really looking forward to the complete package. Wish an unfluted cylinder was cost effective, but its sadly not. Thanks

Well, that is one fine looking gun. How long did it take for the Chig's grips to be finished? The fit looks perfect - well, I see where you mailed him the frame.

I sort of like the fluted cylinder. You said a non fluted cylinder was cost prohibitive? How much would it have been, if you don't mind me asking. I can see where a non-fluted cylinder would make it look less like a home brewed project. But please don't take that the wrong way. The final gun is very, very impressive.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Thanks, Kevin!

Roughly $900 for the cylinder..ouch! I get what your saying about home brewed but with the 44spl coming fluted it looks just like that variation. I just like the unfluted look.

Turnaround on grips was about a week and half. Turned out well and so like that frame size for 357.

Onty

Single-Sixer
KMK-678GC said:
This is Lipseys VP of production response.

"Bisley versions of the standard frame Flattops are on my list to do. We did that with the 44 Special and I anticipate doing the same to the 357 and 45 Colt in the future."

There is hope.

Ironically, I just got ahold of a Mid Frame 5.5 for my conversion project.

I would like to see stainless Flattop Bisley in 357/9mm combo, barrel 5.5"-6.5", both cylinders fluted. I found that fluted ones are much more practical than non-fluted.

Heck, when I was young I wouldn't even look at revolver if barrel is not at least 7.5". Now, preferences changed and my Redhawk 7.5" will be soon for sale. Still kicking myself for passing as new S&W 624-3, 6".

Onty

Single-Sixer
KMK-678GC said:
Final with Walnut Brl from Chigs.

Is something strange with the trigger? Looks like spring didn't return it in normal position.