Blued SBH owners a question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Acorn

Buckeye
I'm looking at a used 7.5" Blue SBH at a LGS and noticed that the cylinder was a little darker and shinier than the frame. The leads to the cylinder notches don't seem sharp. Wondering if the cylinder was reblued? The rest of the gun looks new.

Don't know how old this New Model is, but different components of these revolvers accept bluing differently than other components. Cast vs forged or rolled, for example.

Many of us have cast frames that have turned plum, while the barrel and cylinder remain blue. Plumb frames are honorable.

May or may not be in the plum era, but the intensity or acceptance of bluing on cast vs forged, remains. This is one reason for the popularity of case colored frames. Then there's no question about the different colors or finish between the cylinder/barrel and frame.

hittman

Staff member
I think WAYNO nailed it.

I don't have a NM but both my OM (one high polish, one "regular" finish) each show some small variation in the depth of the coloring. Obviously, the grip frames and ejector housing are most pronounced.

very common a difference in color of the various parts, noticeable when ALL together ,,instead of the "leads" I would like to see the actual notch itself, if the cut is "sharp: on the edges, not rounded or "rolled" over.......with the cylinders, look at the ends, and in the chambers , usually a giveaway to being redone.. 8) :roll: :wink:

Acorn

Buckeye
As soon as I can pick it up, I will.
I had to laugh, the shop is currently only selling guns by appointment only.
Who'd of thought we'd ever see the day.
They took me without one because I was just putting a deposit down.
Not doing the NICS rigamarole.