Birds Head Grip?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
I'm wanting another 45 acp, I had to sell off or trade my 1911's. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands, wrists, elbows and sholders of both arms. I really loved the 1911 and 45 acp and handloaded for it, when the RA got me early last fall I couldn't hold the 1911 much less pull the slide back. The meds I'm on now have moderated the pain, and yesterday a beautiful spring day here in SWV went out and shot my MK IV 22/45 Lite and my Single Six 22/22 mag with no problems. Sorry for being long winded before my question. How is the recoil on a Ruger Single Action 3.75 in barrel Birds Head Grip? I work at a local gun shop a couple days a week and we got a real nice one in the other day and was wanting another 45 acp, the 1911 slide is still a problem. It felt great in the hand, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Recoil is of course relative, but, I have a short-barreled Birdshead .45 ACP, and I find it very pleasant to shoot.

Don't forget, with the tiny little gripframe, the recoil energies are concentrated to a smaller portion of your hand, which may or may not be a concern.

Man, I feel your pain. I have just recently regained the ability to work the slide on my 1911 and other centerfire semi autos thanks to surgery on my thumb. As to the birds head SA revolvers I have limited recent experience. I have lost the ability to comfortably shoot all SA center fires larger than .357. I have found that DA revolvers are a lot more comfortable for me to shoot. If you know someone with a birds head, ask to shoot it and see how it goes. Good luck going forward with your RA!

Dave

dakota1911

Buckeye
I don't think mine recoils that bad and with 45 ACP one can go to light target loads if one wanted to. Nice revolver.

balin

Bearcat
While it is not quite what you are asking. I find the birdshead grip to be tougher to control under recoil. I shoot 44 magnums with most all grip types whether it is single or double action guns. But birdshead grips twist more in my hands under recoil.

RGRacing

Bearcat
Pair_of_BH.jpg

I enjoy this 45 LC - and I don't have much to compare to - Saw it and wanted it - Same with the Bearcat -

BearBio

Buckeye
I had two for SASS. Converted both: One to a plow-handle and one to a Bisley. The Bisley handled HEAVY 45 Colt loads admirably! Had Hogue walnut grips. The other I traded off to Tyler for some gunsmithing (had the plow handle). Once I made the trade he seemed to lose interest in finishing my work. One bird's head grip went on a 5.5" Vaquero and I sold the other.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
I've owned the Birdshead in 45 ACP and found it pleasant to shoot.
45acp isn't really too snappy in the recoil department, though.

As others have stated, the Birdshead grip is tougher on the hand during firing (twists or torques) but again, 45acp isn't exactly 44 magnum!

bogus bill

Hunter
This is a Cimmeron Thunderer made by Uberti. Mine is dual cylinders .45 colt and ACP. While I have owned it about 25 years I really havent shot it much but when I did I found it pleasant to shoot. I know they still make them. I think the grip is far better looking than the Rugers birdshead and probably easier to hang on to under recoil. Colt did make that grip frame on the models 1877 lighting/thunderer and the 1878 models.
https://i.postimg.cc/5NHNjBj9/Uberti-C-012399.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
bogus bill said:
I think the grip is far better looking than the Rugers birdshead and probably easier to hang on to under recoil. Colt did make that grip frame on the models 1877 lighting/thunderer and the 1878 models.
https://i.postimg.cc/5NHNjBj9/Uberti-C-012399.jpg

That's a sweetheart!

I also like the grip better than Ruger's. So much, that I finally fit one to my Ruger; here it is partially completed to show the work need:

standard.jpg

I cut off the back strap and most of the butt from the original old model Ruger XR3 grip frame leaving the mainspring mount attached to the front strap, and drilled and tapped a hole at the bottom of the front grip strap toe. Inserted the back strap of a Colt Lightning style birdshead grip frame made by Cimarron (also known as Thunderer in the large caliber guns) and screwed it together. The top two holes of the birdshead back strap align with the Ruger frame holes. The butt screw went into my new hole drilled and tapped in the front bottom end of the piece of butt strap left on the Ruger front strap.

You can see the excess metal on the front strap to be removed or just make a new set of 2 piece grips to fit the new grip frame size. If you start with the more common XR3-RED grip frame, you will not need to remove any metal from the front grip strap, the one piece wood grip fits almost perfectly with only minor fitting. Just need to modify the center piece of wood that retains the one piece grips to fit around the mainspring. Or cut them apart and use a screw to hold them on and install a locating dowel in the base of the Cim. back strap, and holes to match the dowel placement, in the backside of the grips.

Works just as well on New Model Rugers.

InjunBro

Bearcat
I prefer birdshead grips, they put the recoil right in the meaty part of my hand & have less muzzle rise. The lightning style are even better.