New Python Accuracy Test

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Great writeup/shooting test by Wiley Clapp in the new American Rifleman. He not only shot both 4" and 6" barrels, he also tested them against "vintage" 4" and 6" Pythons. Outstanding!

I was amazed at the consistency. Each gun was shot with two types of .38 and two types of .357 Mag ammo. Not a single group average was over 2", and most of the group averages (all four guns) was in the 1.25"-1.5" range. The single best average group, which was under 1", was shot by the new 4" gun with full .357 ammo. I didn't see that coming!

My own two vintage Pythons are very different. The 4" doesn't shoot noticeably more accurately than any of my S&Ws; if I can get a 2" group out of it, it's a good day. The 6", OTOH, is a tackdriver; 1" groups with .38 ammo are expected. I don't know how it shoots .357s, as I've never put them in it and I never will. :wink:

Bogus Bill: are you feeling ok? I've never seen a one word reply from you yet. :D

Are the new Pythons better than the "vintage" Pythons? I'll have to go and see the review. It is funny the 4" barrel had the best accuracy. I would not have expected that either.

Kevin said:
Bogus Bill: are you feeling ok? I've never seen a one word reply from you yet. :D

Are the new Pythons better than the "vintage" Pythons? I'll have to go and see the review. It is funny the 4" barrel had the best accuracy. I would not have expected that either.
Didn't look like too much difference between the old vs the new.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
The Preacher said:
I noticed he didn't shoot any 158 gr. loads. Wonder why? Pretty standard for a 357/38 Spl.

The Prreacher

Yep. All light 130 gr or less weight bullets. Notice AR NEVER says ANYTHING bad or faulty about a gun they review?????

Cholo

Staff member
Fox Mike said:
Didn't look like too much difference between the old vs the new.
Realistically, there's not in outward appearance, though I prefer the old to the new in these small differences. I think Colt did a stellar job in recreating this classic.

Inwardly it's completely different, but people say the new action is fantastic! Colt has a winner!

Snake45

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
It happens. I have both 4" and 6" .22 Diamondbacks and Smith K-22s. A while back I carefully benchrested them against each other, using three or four different ammos. The four guns produced remarkably similar groups with all ammos, but the 4" K-22, shooting cheap Winchester ammo, turned in the best group average by a noticeable margin. I would never have expected that. In fact the AR Python test reminded me a lot of my .22 shootout.

Of course this is no guarantee that ALL 4" Pythons will outshoot ALL 6" ones. That's just what happened on that day. Remember, every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself, and you never know what any particular gun/ammo combo will do until you shoot it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
recumbent said:
Snake45 said:
I don't know how it shoots .357s, as I've never put them in it and I never will. :wink:

Just curious Why you don't shoot 357s in them.
I won't shoot .357s in the 6" because it's minty and very tight and is a superstar with .38s. I'll shoot them in the 4" because it already has a lot more wear on it.

If I want to shoot gut-busting .357s, I have a 6" Smith Highway Patrolman that's built for such abuse. :wink:

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
recumbent said:
Snake45 said:
I don't know how it shoots .357s, as I've never put them in it and I never will. :wink:

Just curious Why you don't shoot 357s in them.
I won't shoot .357s in the 6" because it's minty and very tight and is a superstar with .38s. I'll shoot them in the 4" because it already has a lot more wear on it.

If I want to shoot gut-busting .357s, I have a 6" Smith Highway Patrolman that's built for such abuse. :wink:
I have a related question. Are you concerned about the "crud ring" that commonly develops in the chambers just beyond the .38 Special brass? I don't worry about it because, while I shoot .357 brass exclusively in my .357s, I most often shoot at power/pressure/velocity/recoil levels of .38 special.

Lost Sheep

bogus bill

Hunter
Kevin, I am busted up but okay. Recovering from a hip replacement but fell and cracked it again. When I fell I threw my hands up to protect my face and broke some bones in my right hand. Biggest hobby was my revolvers and I cant even work the action now! Still am on a stroller too. : Outside of all that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Lost Sheep said:
I have a related question. Are you concerned about the "crud ring" that commonly develops in the chambers just beyond the .38 Special brass? I don't worry about it because, while I shoot .357 brass exclusively in my .357s, I most often shoot at power/pressure/velocity/recoil levels of .38 special.

Lost Sheep
No. It comes right out with a .45 bronze bore brush that's worn enough to not be much good in a .45 anymore. :wink:

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
My own two vintage Pythons are very different. The 4" doesn't shoot noticeably more accurately than any of my S&Ws....

The Pythons I've owned shot good, but really no better than my 686's on average. To me the new Python appears to be a cheaper made gun at inflated prices.

The Preacher said:
I noticed he didn't shoot any 158 gr. loads. Wonder why? Pretty standard for a 357/38 Spl.

The Prreacher

Not sure about the newer Python, but the old Pythons were known to shoot the lighter bullets better, as their slower twist rifeling was better suited to bullets under 158 grains, shooting .38 spcl type loads and velocities would further increase the need for a lighter bullet to obtain best accuracy.

I personally like the looks of Python, but those are why I would never buy them, I chose the Security Six back then, and the GP-100 today, as I if I wanted to shoot lighter bullets, I would go to my .32's, or lightweight J frame for 38 special loads. But that's just me, I have never loaded a 357 light, but I have never had any other's show me 357's that would shoot loads as heavy as my Rugers more accurately, today my choice in this caliber would be the Blackhawk very well suited to heavy bullets and heavy loads that rely make the .357 cal. it's finest. Then again I don't don't rely on any revolver to everything, I rely on them to do what they are best at.

buffalocannon

Bearcat
Back in the day when I was young, full of juice, and on the job, the most accurate handgun was any one of them with a 6-inch barrel: Colt, S&W, etc. Unfortunately, most work handguns had 4-inch barrels or less. I had many handguns, revolvers and autos. Once had a Diamondback and a Det. Special, both in .38, I let get away from me. Regretful. The Rugers were always the most sturdy. Fired many 29s and Pythons at the time but never purchased one. Regretful. Have a friend in Arizona that won't take $3K for a 70s-era Python, never fired. I am glad Colt is revisiting the Python, and that it seems to be a good gun. Perhaps I'll get one? I am now down to only one handgun, a 60s-era High Power, in my opinion, the best handgun ever made.

I have never owned a Python. Too much money as is the new Python in my opinion. I have owned a Colt King Cobra 4" and found it to be fairly accurate, but nowhere near my 686 Smith 4". As a result, the King Cobra is gone.
My accuracy checks are at practical use range, generally under 50'. If I am sighting in for hunting it will be at 50 yards off a rest. The 686 is all I need in a 4" DA revolver chambered in 357.
That being said I would love to shoot the new Python just for the experience...... I did see the American Rifleman review on TV. Looked like a cool revolver!