Very early 357 Blackhawk: UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larryofcc

Bearcat
I just bought a well used early 357 Blackhawk with the 4 3/4" bbl. It is # 1064, and appears to be all correct with the possible exception of the wood stocks. They have the black medallions and are fitted very well. 4 notches cut into them for 2 bear and 2 Mountain Lions. This revolver was given to my Vets Dad from the original owner who gave it to him. I am not a Ruger collector, but I have a few others.
I need to know if the stocks are original to the gun. Also a date of manufacture.
This revolver is not for sale. Thanks for any and all info. Big Larry

Moderator update.

larryofcc

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
That early of a serial number, first run in 1955, the gun would have shipped with the black, hard rubber (Plastic) checkered grips....sounds like a NICE gun....a keeper :wink:
Reading a copy of what stocks could be ordered at the time, varnished walnut stocks were available as an option for $5 extra. I have no reason to suspect these stocks are not correct. Thanks all. Big Larry

hittman

Staff member
It would have left the factory with the black plastic. If you put a WTB ad in the Classifieds here you'll probably find some pretty quick.

yes, walnut grips could be bought ,,BUT the guns them selves were shipped with the black ones....now,,,, never know if one of Mr Rugers "friends" who may have wanted wood ones , did they get shipped with them ON the gun or a separate "package" or bought later????,,,,,,you get the gun to talk and tell us , then you will know 8) :wink:

........" Ruger lore"....... or "Picayune Variations"......... :roll:

larryofcc

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
yes, walnut grips could be bought ,,BUT the guns them selves were shipped with the black ones....now,,,, never know if one of Mr Rugers "friends" who may have wanted wood ones , did they get shipped with them ON the gun or a separate "package" or bought later????,,,,,,you get the gun to talk and tell us , then you will know 8) :wink:

........" Ruger lore"....... or "Picayune Variations"......... :roll:
These stocks have been on this gun for a long time. His hunting days were over many years ago and it does have the 4 notches.
Mr. Charles Cooley was the president and founder of the Happy Factory, a Utah based company that made toys for kids out of wood. All voluntary and they were distributed free. He was a pillar of his community here in Cedar City as was his wife Donna. He is gone now, but before he passed, he gave the gun to his longtime friend, my Vets Dad. The gun is a beater at best, but for $400 I could not pass on it with the provenance.
I have no plans to change out the stocks. When he cut the notches in the stocks he also made 4 marks on the grip handle. Long post. Thanks for looking. Big Larry

standard.jpg

G2

Hunter
The gun probably was not shipped with those grips,,,
But they are correct for the time period and definitely "FIT" the over all condition.
Absolutely a Gem.
Thanks for sharing the story & picture. :wink:

FWIW: A few years back I bought a similar vintage gun (4 digit) that was 99% in the box and had a extra set of pristine wood grips & screw included.
I don't think the wood grips had ever been installed, why?, the panel pin locating hole had wood fibers with the finish still in place and looked 100% new.

Sorry, no pic of the backside. :roll:
414399039.jpg

rugerguy, comments are spot on, IMO

larryofcc

Bearcat
Picture of said gun after my buddy worked his magic on it, and no, a refinish is out of the question. Big Larry

standard.jpg

larryofcc

Bearcat
Busterswoodshop said:
Why would you refinish it ?
There is nothing wrong with it as it is.
You are so true. I want to keep it as is for the provenance, as I do know much of its history.
I have lots of ammo to burn in it. I also have a few S&W's in 357 and one Colt Python.
Thanks all who responded to my post. Big Larry

The grips that G2 posted a picture of would be the correct grips if they would have purchased them in the mid-50s the contoured and varnished. The grips in the picture are mid-60s grips not contoured & dull finished.
IMHO.

larryofcc

Bearcat
BDM1 said:
That's a nice looking gun, i also would leave it as-is.
No, considering its history, I would never change a thing. Mr. Cooley was a pillar of the community here in Cedar City, Utah, and made a lot of underprivleged youths very happy with the toys he made. I do intend to talk with the seller and maybe find out more about the gun that was given him by Mr. Cooley. Thanks all. Big Larry