Oops! I did it again

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cubrock

Blackhawk
So, remember my fiasco a few weeks ago buying a 7.5" Old Model .45 Blackhawk to discover it had the .45 ACP cylinder in it? A forum member hooked me up with a .45 Colt OM cylinder and I'm just waiting to get it to the gunsmith to be fit. But, the saga continues....

This past weekend, a dealer friend had a low serial number New Model .45 Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel. Shooter grade gun for a very good price. I've long admired these early New Models - no warning on the barrel and they were using up the Old Model cylinders with the firing pin groove. I bought it and my youngest son fell in love with it immediately. We took it to the range and, lo and behold, it has a .45 ACP cylinder! I remember looking down the chambers and it just didn't register that I was seeing the .45 ACP shoulder. He and I were doing a deal on 13 guns and the price was good enough on the Blackhawk I didn't pay it much mind. Lesson learned.

I'm in it where it can stay a .45 ACP, and a very handy one at that, but now I'm on the hunt for ANOTHER OM .45 Colt cylinder. I know I could put a newer one in it, but I'd prefer to keep it as original as possible. My son wants to buy it from me, even though he can't legally do that for a number of years yet. He is very patient.

So, if anyone has a cylinder.... :lol:

cubrock

Blackhawk
And, I measured the .45 ACP cylinder in it tonight and noticed it is too short. And the serial number doesn't match. Sigh....

contender

Ruger Guru
I had to chuckle when I saw this. Especially after reading about your other gun you just got as well.

Ok, how does it shoot with the 45 ACP cylinder? Good enough to keep that one? And now you have to get on the hunt for another Colt cylinder. Patience is your friend.

cubrock

Blackhawk
contender said:
I had to chuckle when I saw this. Especially after reading about your other gun you just got as well.

Ok, how does it shoot with the 45 ACP cylinder? Good enough to keep that one? And now you have to get on the hunt for another Colt cylinder. Patience is your friend.

Haven't shot it yet. We took only .45 Colt ammo to the range when we had it out. It was funny - my boy looking all concerned saying "Dad! The ammo doesn't fit!"