Value of a Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Just curious of todays market for a
Unconverted, Blued 1957 Blackhawk 4.75" in .357,
Some cylinder turn marks, no box.
Thanks

Good question and hard to really evaluate without seeing it,,,around here ( locations/regions, can and will vary as to pricing) those run in the $600-700 range saw a boxed one last show for $900 and it was mint and it never sold.......so unless you find a person who "may" have a consecutive number to yours, thus the "Pucker factor" will prevail.or in an auction where you have two drunks BOTH wanting the same thing and will drive up the bidding.....you can always ask more and come down ( wiggle room)
Picture would help.....good luck they are out there, I bought one at the Berea gun show years ago, Bob C. was sitting with me and I got one for $575 and it had ivory grips on it,,,walked up to us out of the blue...needless to say Bob got the gun and my wife got the grips.....win ,win 8) :roll: :wink:

( and we still miss Bob C . :(

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, pictures help a lot. The devil is in the details. A 1957 made,, with a serial number 9xxx could be a Type 2 transition, or a Type 2 plain. Ejector rod housing, the base pin, Front sight, ejector rod button, and possibly the rear sight elevation screw are some of the details that make a difference.

A transition version is rarer than a plain one.

Dan in MI

Staff member
contender said:
As noted,, pictures help a lot. The devil is in the details. A 1957 made,, with a serial number 9xxx could be a Type 2 transition, or a Type 2 plain. Ejector rod housing, the base pin, Front sight, ejector rod button, and possibly the rear sight elevation screw are some of the details that make a difference.

A transition version is rarer than a plain one.

Contender can you expand on the details? I have a 8xxx version that I do know is a transition gun, but I don't know all the details to look for. I have Dugan's book and thought I had it figured out, but the elevator screw is new to me (and maybe other things)

If the gun is shown with components as shipped from the factory at that serial range it's almost certainly a Type II Transition version. The single "defining feature" between the Type II Transition and the following Type II is the base pin with the narrow lands as shown here.

RENE lists the Type II Transition at $840 (1800 made) and the regular Type II (8500 made) at $755 . . . both in "collector condition" with original grip panels of course.

Data from the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume One, and the annual RENE Price Guide.

The difficulty here is that these "defining features" are easily swapped out, producing what Bob Campbell called "picayune variations" or "screwdriver variations", and these cannot be confirmed by The Factory.

Whatever, this is a nice gun.

Hylander said:
This revolver is all original.
So seems that maybe $600 might be a fair price to ask?

Sure. JMHO

If it doesn't sell, you can always come down some if you wish.

If it sells in the first fifteen minutes, you'll know you might have started out a little higher.

That's how it goes. :wink:

Hylander, if you have the original grips and the cracks do NOT go all the way through or any pieces or chunks "missing" you can put super glue in the cracks on the backside will keep from spreading, and use a "grip spacer" hollow piece of aluminum tubing over the grip screw on the inside of the frame to keep from overtightening the grip screw, further cracking the grips,,,,those JayScott grips on the gun do nothing for it,,,the originals are the way to go and at $600 is more than fair for the condition of the gun pictured above....good luck, nice gun :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Ale-8(1) has given some good info.

The ejector rod button, for a transition one should be concave faced.
The Ejector Rod housing,, "a long throw, offset" (as shown above,) for the transition type.
Non-serrated front sight blade.
And as shown, and mentioned,, the base pin with the narrow lands.

The rear sight elevation screw on a FEW of these,, can have the hash mark also known as a witness mark for when you adjust the elevation.

I'd value the gun above at a price of $700 at least. The original grips must be with it,, and if showing cracks,, then maybe $650.

Dan in MI

Staff member
contender said:
Ale-8(1) has given some good info.

The ejector rod button, for a transition one should be concave faced. Check
The Ejector Rod housing,, "a long throw, offset" (as shown above,) for the transition type. Check
Non-serrated front sight blade. nope
And as shown, and mentioned,, the base pin with the narrow lands. Check
The rear sight elevation screw on a FEW of these,, can have the hash mark also known as a witness mark for when you adjust the elevation. Check

856x

Thank you!