Is this a factory brass frame gun BP7 SN 140-00103

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Can somebody with a book see if it is listed as shipping with the brass frame

Odd story..... going through dad's stuff and I find the grip frame and grips with a tag noting the SN. So far I have never seen a gun with just the receiver and barrel. No idea how or why they aren't together

I know he bought this from a Ruger employee when he bought the 103 collection and serial number

For now my theory is the original owner or dad blew it up. I can't think of another explanation BUT it is in his records with a price as if it was a complete gun. Dad never mentioned any unusual event like that and as far as I know has never fired ANY of the SN 103 guns

Just weird

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I doubt it. Nothing in my book about brass frame Old Armys shipping, only Super Blackhawks.

Sounds like the brass grip frame was installed to replace the original grip frame. Does the SN on the grip frame with the tag match the gun #140-00103?

Brass frame kits were sold by Ruger with a wide trigger.

hittman

Staff member
$10 letter to Ruger seems in order.

Unless Chet15 knows something.

Hondo quote

" Does the SN on the grip frame with the tag match the gun #140-00103?"

I'm confused is the sn on both the grip frame AND the receiver? I did not think so. Could be a kit as there is a trigger with it too.

I have not found the actual gun if it is a kit and it is odd that the brass frame with grips and trigger would have this tag indicating it should go with 140-00103

Still weird

hittman

Staff member
I think single action serial numbers are on the right side under the cylinder, not on the removable grip frame.

contender

Ruger Guru
According to Dougan's book on the factory shipped brass framed Old Army's,, (of which there are 1,479 guns) the serial number 140-00103 is not shown. The numbers in the book show 140-00097 and jumps to 140-00106.

AzGeno

Single-Sixer
What Hitman said.
Check the factory records. Get a letter.
I have a Brass Frame SB-47.
The serial number was just outside Dougan's list of BF Supers.
My letter from the factory confirmed it was Shipped as a factory Brass Frame.
I view all "lists" as guides, but not exact. A factory letter is definitive.

Hi Just a thought maybe it was a kit fitted to a gun with that serial number and removed with the thought they might want to put it back on someday so being it was fitted to that gun it would go right back your Dad most likely picked up the frame somewhere

Gramps