Factory Ivory Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I think I just found out how much factory ivory grips are worth. Gunbroker had a demilled Single Six in the 103,000 serial number range that had FACTORY IVORY GRIPS with it. The Single Six and the grips sold for $2,125 about 9:15 PM tonight. I was the underbidder. I bid more than I told myself I would, but I still didn't make it. RENE states they should be worth about $2,225; seems that is correct!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm not positive about this, BUT, I think you can buy a full-grown mail (I meant male :) elephant for that price.... (and make your own grips).

contender

Ruger Guru
"I'm not positive about this, BUT, I think you can buy a full-grown mail elephant for that price.... (and make your own grips)."

That's funny!

The reason they are so valuable is the limited numbers, the ivory regs Hussain passed, combined with the fact they are factory supplied.
Aftermarket ivory grips aren't too far behind in costs.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have an elephant for sale if anyone is interested; "pretty good price" for forum members
:)))))

diffy40

Single-Sixer
Johnnu2 said:
I have an elephant for sale if anyone is interested; "pretty good price" for forum members
:)))))
Please send pictures of the tusks. Maybe I can trim a little off one side and resell him.

JStacy

Blackhawk
"I have an elephant for sale if anyone is interested; "pretty good price" for forum members"
I bet shipping would be expensive.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
I have an old model single six that I purchased in March of 1957.At the same time of purchase I bought along with the gun a set of Ruger stags,they were $7.50,at the same time bought the ivories,if my memory is correct,they were $9.00,still have the gun and grips.

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee Heavy Barrel,,, some folks around here would be polite & offer to buy those & let you double your money. Giving the age & inflation & all,, I'll do better than that,, I'll triple your money! :D :D :D

Seriously,, if you still have those grips,, that's EXCELLENT! It would be great if you have the sales receipt where you bought them as well.
Now,, for many folks,, who discuss the "fakes" & the factories," it would be very helpful if you took detailed, up close pictures of both sets of grips,, front & back,, especially around the medallion. There has been a LOT of discussion about what's "real" and what's fake out there for a long time. Any & all verifiable sets help us weed out the fakes.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Gee Heavy Barrel,,, some folks around here would be polite & offer to buy those & let you double your money. Giving the age & inflation & all,, I'll do better than that,, I'll triple your money! :D :D :D

Seriously,, if you still have those grips,, that's EXCELLENT! It would be great if you have the sales receipt where you bought them as well.
Now,, for many folks,, who discuss the "fakes" & the factories," it would be very helpful if you took detailed, up close pictures of both sets of grips,, front & back,, especially around the medallion. There has been a LOT of discussion about what's "real" and what's fake out there for a long time. Any & all verifiable sets help us weed out the fakes.

Still have the grips but no reciept,purchased them from the Altoona Leather Store in Altoona,PA.There's more,I have a pair of consecutive engraved single sixes still in box,one fired the other never.I'm thinking they were either $315 or $325 but 1957 was a long time ago and my memory's not near what it used to be.If I get some time in the next few days I'll post a few pictures.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Heavy Barrel said:
contender said:
but 1957 was a long time ago and my memory's not near what it used to be.If I get some time in the next few......

Obviously... seems you have totally forgot offering those up to me when you called me your adopted son and what a great kid I was.. Don't you remember me Dad? :D

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Heavy Barrel said:
contender said:

Still have the grips but no reciept,purchased them from the Altoona Leather Store in Altoona,PA.There's more,I have a pair of consecutive engraved single sixes still in box,one fired the other never.I'm thinking they were either $315 or $325 but 1957 was a long time ago and my memory's not near what it used to be.If I get some time in the next few days I'll post a few pictures.

Suggest 301.50 for the pair, as advertised then. Saw Ivories for 9.50 and stags for 7.00 in the time frame you note, Donaldsons' downtown MPLS MN...........Splitz

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
HAWKEYE#28 said:
Heavy Barrel said:
contender said:

Suggest 301.50 for the pair, as advertised then. Saw Ivories for 9.50 and stags for 7.00 in the time frame you note, Donaldsons' downtown MPLS MN...........Splitz

After I went thru a bunch of l old stuff,you are correct,$301.50.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Splitz doesn't even have to 'look-up' these numbers/prices..... he's got them all stored in his memory.. God bless him.... Ask him the value of a glass resisitor off of a 1972 AT&T telephone pole. :)
J