News to me re: Old Model Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
This appeared on the Rugerforum.net site:

I recently sent in my Old Model Super Blackhawk to have the transfer bar conversion done. Ruger told me the conversion could not be done on my particular revolver, but they offered to send me a new revolver to replace mine.

I would like to hear your opinions on this. Should I keep the old model, or replace it with a new one?

Thanks!

Anybody got any information on this?

Bob Wright

hittman

Staff member
Lesson learned.
Why on Gods green earth anybody would want an OM converted is beyond me but ...... to each their own I suppose.

Never heard that one before.

Rclark

Hunter
Never heard of that before either. Maybe they are running out of parts?

Why on Gods green earth anybody would want an OM converted is beyond me
Me too :) . And then the follow up about replacing it with a New Model????? That's a no brainer! Keep the Old Model of course.

hittman

Staff member
Ya know ..... unless the author of the letter is way younger than the process of "converting" an OM.

Isn't that conversion process 50-some years old now? Ya think a 30 year OLD employee mistook that for just a "repair"?

Johnnu2

Hunter
Maybe the Ruger 'employee' saw a chance to get a nice OM for his truly own... :)
J.

gunzo

Hunter
Seeing a pic of said "Old Model" might shed some light.

Newer, young, less informed shooters/gun owners sprouting every day. Hard to say what the story is.

never know it has happened to me twice now,, first for a early 200th year Mini 14, NO parts, NO work on them...wanted money for a newer Mini difference keep th e old one...NO send it back.....then a Security Six , no, they will NOT work on it, no parts send money and we will give you a NEWER "Like" model, keep the old one....NO I said again,,,send it back........

just get it back.............. 8) :roll: :wink:

GET IT BACK!

This has been happening too often! I know of a case where a fella sent a "like new" OM .357/9mm Blackhawk in for the "conversion" and they told him it was unsafe and could not be returned. They offered a new one as free replacement, which he accepted. He later regretted that.

When he called back to see what was going on, he was told "Nope, that didn't happen!" He gave up.

GET IT BACK . . . IF YOU CAN! Good luck.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I saw this on the other Ruger forum also. My guess is that Ruger is no longer making the parts for the conversion so their offer now is to replace the old model with the new model. If I were the owner I would be asking for them to kindly return my old model revolver to me. Be interesting to know if Ruger tries to refuse to send the old model back because of a safety issue. Too bad that he even sent it in to them in the first place.

RSIno1

Hunter
Johnnu2 said:
Maybe the Ruger 'employee' saw a chance to get a nice OM for his truly own... :)
J.
This is where my vote is going. They have determined that the OM are unsafe as originally designed. Now if you send a gun in for repair and they can't fix it they offer you x amount on a newer model. That has left some people here in CA without a gun. Their old gun was grandfathered in and the new one they are offering is not on the CA safe handgun list so it can't be sold to normal citizens.

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
hittman said:
Lesson learned.
Why on Gods green earth anybody would want an OM converted is beyond me but ...... to each their own I suppose.

Never heard that one before.

Well, not a Super Blackhawk, but I sent an old Single Six to Ruger for the conversion. Wasn't something I'd have done for myself but I gave it to my eight year old grandson and was a bit concerned about the safety issues. Anyway, he loves the revolver and is learning to shoot very well with it. Ruger sent the original parts back with the Single Six so he can convert it when he gets older.

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to the employee requirements,, (background checks, security, ATF, etc,) I SERIOUSLY doubt any Ruger employee can take home ANY firearm that comes in to the facility WITHOUT the company finding out.
I've been to a factory, and had to go through some security procedures etc.
So the idea that an employee; "Maybe the Ruger 'employee' saw a chance to get a nice OM for his truly own... : is HIGHLY unlikely!

But,, it is possible an employee who is newer,, unfamiliar with all the "differences" in an OM vs. a NM may THINK an OM is "unsafe" & declare it as such. Those of us who are very familiar with the workings internally of an OM know that most of them can be worked on & fixed etc. unless that is a serious issue such as a bulged barrel, cracked cylinder. And even issues like that,, we can fix them,, while Ruger doesn't have the parts anymore to fix those. And with the current lawsuit happy public,, the legal division may instruct them to err on the side of caution & replace vs repair.

But stealing a gun,, not very likely at all!

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
The Super in question is a 1966, my question was is it a 6-1/2" or a 7-/12" and as much as there are regulations, there are also ways around them, and employee programs, not saying that is what happened, however this is not the first time we have heard of this happening.

Cholo

Staff member
I think this all boils down to what are we not being told. From the OP: Ruger told me the conversion could not be done on my particular revolver. It seems like there's something's going on with the gun itself that ain't right.

Ruger still offers their conversion per their website. https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/blackhawk-pre1973.pdf

wproct said:
I saw this on the other Ruger forum also. My guess is that Ruger is no longer making the parts for the conversion so their offer now is to replace the old model with the new model. If I were the owner I would be asking for them to kindly return my old model revolver to me. Be interesting to know if Ruger tries to refuse to send the old model back because of a safety issue. Too bad that he even sent it in to them in the first place.

I remember a few years ago maybe 4 on this forum someone had a similar situation. Try to remember all the details but to make a long story short Ruger keep their Super Black Hawk and the owner was not happy. Anyone else remember and have details? Fact remains is that the revolver is private property of someone else! Must be Returned Period. Call the Newport police! ps

Hondo44

Hawkeye
What contender posted!

My 1st question would have been, specifically what mechanical problem is preventing conversion? Even ask for a technician to talk to if you want to know bad enough.

This is not a new issue and been discussed several times. The bottom line is they cannot legally keep your gun. Just stand firm, that you don't want a replacement, just want your gun back! Keep climbing higher in mgmt if need be. And email mgmt at their web page if they still offer that option.

And if you still want your gun converted, there's hundreds of the parts kits available here from other members and on the ebay and gunbroker auctions, cheap. There's no machining needed and it's as easy as taking your gun apart and putting it back together.

Ruger Factory OM disassembly/re-assembly video:

Ruger doesn't have an OM single action 3 screw video so choose the video at this link for 'Revolver Tech Tips": http://www.ruger.com/videos.html?vid=13 ... at=3769277
and scroll down to "Tech Tips-Old Army Disassembly" and "Tech Tips-Old Army Reassembly" which has almost the same lock work as all Old Models.

Well, I know what I know about the incident I mentioned above, and it still stinks to high heaven.

It was discussed at great length several years ago, and I'll try to find that thread.

I will never send an Old Model back to Ruger again. Do whatever you like.

Updated . . . here's the thread from six years ago. Nothing was ever settled, but it was an interesting discussion:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=200266&hilit=won%27t+return

:roll: