News to me re: Old Model Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

There are always some circumstances that we may not know about. I sent in a Super that had a bunch of cold blue around front sight area and the technician said it had been heated (not correct) and that they would not work on it other than doing the safety update. I had them return it with the update installed. I believe it is commercial law that they have to return it if requested; just as an auto repair facility has to give you your old parts if you ask for them. There are some new employees that are not aware of what is what. I recently called Prescott to see what the cost of a refinish would be. They said twice in a row to me repeatedly asking (in a calm polite tone) that it would have to be evaluated by a technician. On my third request I asked if it was $50 or $500 for the refinish and again I was just told it had to be sent in. I wrote to the CEO per their website and within a few days had a wonderful return call from a manager saying that was not the way the call should have been handled and that they would work on correcting that. I was then told that it still required some evaluation but that the MAXIMUM for a refinish was $150. Hope this current info is of assistance to someone.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
This happened to me, as well. I bought an OM Super BH from a member here, a 3 years ago. $400.00 for a sharp looking, 7.5" blued. Seller swore he had not touched the trigger. But, it was dangerously light. One lb. ,,,, maybe less. It was accurate, no problems there. I felt it was unsafe. So, I sent into Ruger for transfer bar conversion. I figured after I got the old parts returned, I could replace. I see them offered occasionally. Ruger called me and said conversion could not be done. They were returning it. Or, I could have a new, free, replacement. Either, one that was unsafe. Or a new, Stainless SBH in front of me. I tried 3 different days to speak with a tech who could answer why?? "No!" was the answer from Ruger. The person I spoke with knew nothing. I gave in and received a SS New Model. Only thing I was told, "Technician said conversion could not be completed".

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I felt bad for taking an OM out of circulation. But, I was out $400 and wanted something to show for it. I always felt like someone there grabbed it. Appearance wise, it looked great. Looking back, it may have just been trigger return spring. Or, someone worked on it.

nrobe50

Buckeye
I have sent a few guns back to Ruger for the conversion. I always take the parts out of the gun before sending it to Ruger. I have had two situations where they would not convert. One was a 357 and they offered a free replacement new model which I accepted. Another was a Super Blackhawk and they offered to sell me a new one for about what I could buy it for from my local shop. I had them return that gun. I would never have a collectible grade Ruger converted or have a converted gun for my own shooter but it does make for a safer revolver and lots of folks don't understand the importance of an empty hole under the hammer.

redeye

Bearcat
I'm thinking that someone at the plant may not be walking out the door with an old model, but could they ship it to a different address and get away with it ? I hope that's not going on but something sure does stink.

Tip

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Lesson learned.
Why on Gods green earth anybody would want an OM converted is beyond me...

Ditto. I've never understood this. Especially, in light of "safer" alternatives...

I've got two early Super Blackhawks (lettered to early 1960 & 1962). The original lockwork won't be altered; not on my watch. I've owned New Models. There is a place for them, too.

Just please don't tell me an OM should be made into a NM.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I didn't want mine converted. I just wanted it safe to shoot. I have several Old Models in other calibers. None will be sent in. I learned my lesson.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
RSIno1 said:
Johnnu2 said:
Maybe the Ruger 'employee' saw a chance to get a nice OM for his truly own... :)
J.
This is where my vote is going. They have determined that the OM are unsafe as originally designed. Now if you send a gun in for repair and they can't fix it they offer you x amount on a newer model. That has left some people here in CA without a gun. Their old gun was grandfathered in and the new one they are offering is not on the CA safe handgun list so it can't be sold to normal citizens.
Unless things have changed recently, single action revolvers are exempt from the safety roster.
Jeff

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Will Ruger re convert a old model that had been sent in before for a conversion? They mark the frame, so possible they wont fix it twice. So now considered unsafe

Latest posts