New Shrouded Barrel Redhawk front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brasky

Bearcat
Hello everyone,

I have a new model 5043 Redhawk (5.5" .44 mag) that I am looking to put a fiber optic front sight on similar to my other hunting handguns.

I have since learned that Ruger did away with the convenient spring and plunger quick release front sight option in favor of an inconveniently undefined dovetail style cut. Why they didn't cut a dovetail to match their SR1911 or other common gun is beyond me.

From Ruger: " This is not a standard dovetail front sight. The dovetail tab on the bottom of the front sight is .085". It has 50° angle and measures .422" across (2) .0625 gage pins, placed in the bottom of the sight blade and the sides of the dovetail.

We do not offer any other factory or accessory sight options at this time."

I am hoping someone on this forum has successfully replaced one of these new Redhawk front sights or can provide details on what dovetail cut style will fit these dimensions.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone may be able to provide.

Sincerely,

Brasky

contender

Ruger Guru
While the spring & plunger type of sight is a nice option,, and provides an easy swap around,, many folks never swap sights. I'd bet the sales of optional sights is low,, so the bean counters decided to save the company some money by eliminating the spring & plunger type.

Since Ruger doesn't offer any type of replacement,, contact the sight companies,, such as Hi-Viz, Tru-Glo, Williams etc to see if they offer a replacement sight yet.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Certainly not for its superior design is the original Redhawk front sight given the axe. I suspect the new shrouded barrel system saves money, as does elimination of the Redhawk front sight. Thus, the Redhawk should cost less than ever, or should.

Also suspect the Super Redhawk costs less to make the Rdehawk with its drop forged barrel and full grip frame. Ruger smartly made the SRH with a base for Redhawk insert sights. As for swapping Redhawk inserts, I do it regularly on Redhawk, Super Blackhawk Hunter, and the Ruger 03.

No, not all "improvements" improve a firearm.
David B

Brasky

Bearcat
Thank you David and contender for the replies,

Fortunately I am a short drive away from Williams, might just take my gun to one of their smiths and see if they can't just fit a fire sight to it.

From a design/manufacturing standpoint, I agree with the merit of the shroud and sleeve. Great example of what we refer to in the Japanese Automotive Manufacturing world as a poka-yoke, or inadvertent mistake proofing. I have no doubts that the new design will allow a lower skilled worked to achieve a much more consistent barrel fit at a lower cost to Ruger. Whether or not those cost savings will be passed down to the consumer, well I have my doubts. At the very least it should result in more consistent accuracy out of the box and cut down on canted barrels making it out into the Wild.

Why they had to cut a non-standard, proprietary dovetail into the barrel sleeve though is beyond me, especially since they do not yet make sights for it 3 years out. You'd think with a standard cut dovetail they could buy sights from a Williams or other company and sell them on their website for a nice markup.

I guess for now the search continues for a compatible sight.

-Brasky

NikA

Buckeye
According to a thread on "the other board", a Novak front sight from Dawson Precision is a good fit for the dovetail on the new production Redhawks. It's also what Dawson recommends for GPs with dovetail front sights.

I am skeptical that the CS folks at Ruger have accurate dimensions for the dovetail. They have been helpful when I've dealt with them, but they don't seem to have access to technical information at the level that would allow them to provide a correct answer to your question unless Ruger itself has specified the dovetail compatibility.

Brasky

Bearcat
Blackhawk,

Thank you so much for this info. Exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a Dawson .305" Novak sight this am.

As long as it's close I'm sure I can get my smith to fit it.

If it is compatible, it does beg the question as to why Ruger wouldn't advertise it as such. I know they did with their distributor exclusive gp100 run. Makes me wonder if they cut the dovetail without Novak's consent/input and that's why they're being so vague about compatibility.

Thanks again for finding this info and I'll be sure to report back if the sight ends up working out.

-Brasky

contender

Ruger Guru
"Certainly not for its superior design is the original Redhawk front sight given the axe. I suspect the new shrouded barrel system saves money, as does elimination of the Redhawk front sight. Thus, the Redhawk should cost less than ever, or should. "

David makes an excellent point.

However,, the part about the Redhawk costing less now,, is overshadowed by the increased cost of production, (wages, materials, overhead, etc,) to where we still will not see a reduction in the sale pricing. Building things at a lower cost,, is often offset by the increased costs of actual production & overhead.

In my business,, over the years,, I've had to increase the charges to my customers because of my overhead costs. Things I can not control. BUT,, I'm still less expensive than my competitors,, because I look for ways to reduce my expenses. And example; I do not take "plastic" in any form for payment. To process plastic payment methods takes time,, and some form of monthly fee. Instead,, I take checks or cash. When I explain things to my customers,, saying the reason I'm a "cheaper" option,, people who actually have money & are financially stable truly understand. But,, when I get the occasional customer who disagrees,, and goes elsewhere,, I don't get upset. From the few I've been able to get feedback from,, they usually get hit with "unseen" charges on the back side.

Ruger just has to keep on trying to build a quality firearm, at a price most can afford,, make a profit for the company and the stockholders. The shrouded barrels, and the changes in the sights are among the things they are trying to do to balance things.

But we do understand the frustrations.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I used a Dawson sight on my 5" Gp-100 in 44 Special with excellent results. I think you'll be pleased. Bob! 8)

Brasky

Bearcat
NiKa,

Thank you for your finding on the other board.

My gunsmith had no trouble getting the Dawson's Precision .305' sight to fit the new redhawk dovetails, although he did say it took quite a bit of filing to get it to drift in.

Couldn't be more pleased with the Dawson's sight, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply!

-Brasky