Reducing recoil on .41 mag ruger black hawk 6.5 inch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I have a ruger blackhawk in 41 mag with a 6.5 inch barrel. I PUT pachmyer grips on it that helped some. I SHOOT my sw model 57 41 mag no problem .This 41 mag ruger really has alot of muzzle flip and kick with the same loads .I usually shoot 210 grain bullets .I tried some 175 grain silver tip Winchester loads and they did kick way less but I am not sure if they are enough for black bear protection .I really like this pistol just not the kick .My 210 grain loads are maximum loads so I may have to cut them back a little .I also have some cast 265 grain hard cast bullets but I know unless I only run them at 1000 fps they will kick even worse. I was just wondering this pistol is harder to shoot than my 454 Redhawks.

sixshot

Buckeye
Some people's hands just don't get along with the Ruger plow handle when the recoil gets up there a bit. If that's the case with you maybe you should try shooting a 41 bisley, they are much easier to shoot for most folks when the recoil gets up there a bit, especially with heavy bullets.
You might also try shooting with a shooting glove, they can help quite a bit.

Dick

DHD

Single-Sixer
My solution isn't cheap, but I fixed my 4 5/8" SBH's brutal muzzle flip and recoil with a Huntington grip mod. His work is plainly beautiful and the grips fit like they were made for my hand (cause they were). I shoot the same loads as before, but they are not punishing now. I don't know what he charges right now, but to me it was worth it.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have a set of Herretts grips on mine. I wear a golf glove when I shoot it with full power loads. I shoot it mostly with coated bullets and reduced loads. However, I get my best accuracy with full powered loads. I expect the S & W would be better for accuracy with the trigger. I know I shoot my 686 better than I do my .357 Blackhawk.

The general ergonomics of your Blackhawk are different than those of your Redhawks. Only you can determine if the Blackhawk is "harder to shoot than my 454 Redhawks" since we all react differently to "perceived recoil", much of which is actually reaction to muzzle blast.

You have already noted that heavier/faster bullets generate more felt recoil, and that will be true regardless of which gun you shoot. The general ergonomic arrangement of the Blackhawk tends to make muzzle flip more pronounced, and while aftermarket grips may help with this, it's an effort to overcome the reaction inherent in the gun's design. The Redhawk trades some of the muzzle flip for more felt rearward kick, but only you can decide which is "worse" in your hands.

We all go thru this in the beginning. Some guns just "work better" for us than others. For "enthusiastic" loads I prefer the Blackhawk with the original grip panels and simply accept that the muzzle is going to jump as the gun grip rolls down in my hand. Some believe this grip frame configuration was intended to allow this flip as a moderating effect on recoil. I don't know if this is true or not but it works for me.

In your case, you have the opportunity to experiment until you find the happy point for each grip configuration, and you appear to be on the right track. Good luck. :mrgreen:

contender

Ruger Guru
If you study the above posts,, you will see that the common theme is HOW the gun fits YOUR hands,, and how you are shooting it.
As mentioned,, some find the plow handle feels bad when a DA design feels good,,, & vis-a-versa. Or,, that a Bisley design feels better than a plow handle.

One thing I OFTEN see as a handgun instructor, is an improper grip. And this is usually accompanied by the perception of felt recoil.
You mention you are fine with your S&W but not with the Ruger. Fine,, but they are totally different designs,, and as such, the physics of recoil are going to be different. And it is definitely more noticeable with maximum loads. Look at the grip shape of your S&W & compare it with the Ruger,, in factory form. You will see the differences.
If you are trying to shoot your Ruger as if it is the S&W,, then that is part of the issue. Due to the design of the SA revolver,, the physics of recoil make the gun want to "roll & rise" when fired. Too often,, people want to "control" this when in fact,, they are actually "fighting" this.
Next,, look at a Ruger plow handle design,, vs. the Ruger Bisley design. Much closer in design than the S&W. Yet,, almost w/o fail,, all of the very serious hard recoiling calibers custom built are using a form of the Bisley design for a g/f. Subtle differences in the Bisley over the plow handle makes a big difference in felt recoil,,, and ACTUAL control-ability. Yet,, under recoil,, the physic STILL matter,, and even a Bisley design will want to roll & rise.

With all this,, may I suggest a few options.

First,, eat a slice of humble pie & get a GOOD instructor, well versed in Single-Action handguns to teach you how to shoot a SA handgun.
(I did a 2 person class yesterday for 2 gentlemen who THOUGHT they knew how to shoot their handguns. I proved to them a few things they were doing wrong,, and immediately,, when they changed little things,, their abilities immediately improved.)
Good instruction often cures the ailment you feel.

Next,, maybe the loads you mentioned are too much for YOU. As noted,, maybe back off a bit. You did mention having a "265 grn cast bullet," and "only" run them at 1000 fps. I'd feel just fine shooting any bear I encounter with a load like that. I went to Colorado in November with only a couple of handguns to hunt elk. I was using a .45 cal, 280 grn bullet,, moving at a little under 1100 fps. I never felt under powered or under gunned in any way. A 265 grn bullet at 1000 fps in a .41 to me is plenty for bear,, unless it's a seriously mad grizzly. And even then,, if I do my part,, that will still work.

When I was younger,, I was afflicted with "magnumitis!" I wanted all the power I could get. well, as I matured I found that I was not only more accurate,, but I was also still killing critters much easier with less than maximum loads.

NOTE; I see another post has been made as I was typing mine. Again,, study what all has been offered. Lots of good info in all the replies.

s4s4u

Hunter
sixshot said:
Some people's hands just don't get along with the Ruger plow handle when the recoil gets up here a bit. If that's the case with you maybe you should try shooting a 41 bisley, they are much easier to shoot for most folks when the recoil gets up there a bit, especially with heavy bullets.
You might also try shooting with a shooting glove, they can help quite a bit.

Dick

I agree with Dick. The Blackhawk handle sucks with heavy loads. But then, I've never found the Redhawk real pleasant either. I have a Bisley in 45 Colt with Houge fat grips that I hotrod the heck out of and while it is a stiff push, it is much easier on the hands and wrists than a BH or SBH.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Same gun as yours. Had it since '99 and put Hogue grips on that I carved/sanded to fit my hand better. I shoot Underwood 210 gr. XTP, and the fitted grips helped quite a bit, but how you grip the gun also makes a difference. You'll never totally get rid of the flip, but you can learn to live with it if you don't fight against it. Try this: 2 handed push/pull with slightly bent elbows - don't stiff arm it. Similar as you do with a shotgun. This creates opposing muscle tension which will do 2 things: Steady the gun, and absorb a fair bit of recoil. How much opposing push/pull tension you need is something you'll have to discover for yourself, since it varies with the person. You want something less than what gives you the shakes. Also, if you can't get on target within 3 sec. or so, relax & bring the gun back toward your chest for 4 or 5 sec. and start over.

hc5U2FR.jpg

dgr416

Single-Sixer
The loads I shot were probally too hot .I talked to a friend he said the same thing about a 41 mag ruger Blackhawk he had with the 4 5/8 barrel and he shoots a 500 Limbaugh.I wish I did have a bislwy gripped 41 mag instead of mine .I bought this ruger to carry on walks where I see tons of black bears and snakes .I need to load some shot loads with gas checks too .I like the pistol a lot just can't shoot it as well as my model 57 SW .The 175 grain Winchester Silverton load was super easy to shoot I wish they were for sale to reload .

Well I can say I've learned quite a bit just from reading this thread. I have a 41, it does have a Bisley grip frame, which I like. I shoot reduced loads also. I know a few others mentioned that as well.

In your first post, you mention your loads are near full power. Do you have a need for full power loads?

The reduced power loads I shoot are with Unique, I think that is a powder which can be safely reduced and still be accurate.

hittman

Staff member
For me, double action vs. single action is like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm a double action guy, like them best and for the most part shoot them all pretty well. On my single actions ..... not so much.

With single actions I'd suggest maybe a Bisley grip frame. I have to do more thinking while shooting single actions ..... remind myself firmer grip, higher grip, etc.

bogus bill

Hunter
In the early 70`s I bought the first one I could when they came out. My pal had the .44 mag BH. We shot them together. My .41 kicked noticeably worse than his .44 Mag.

I have an OM like that. I like it very much for balance, sight radius and light weight for the power we are getting. The Bisley grip must be too large for my hand. I feel so much that I am going to drop the gun that I just sold the grip. It was on a 6.5 .32HRM. The new owner is a talented fitter and he is happy to have it already installed.
I am also happy, as I just bought a an XR3 grip on Classified here. Turned out it was steel and not aluminum. I didn't know there was such a thing, but it was lighter than the Bisley, also to my liking. Keep looking till you get what you want.

BearBio

Buckeye
Try different grips: I have had Herrett, Pachmayrs, Hogue wood grips on various pistols (after using trial and error) I hated Pachmayers on S & W and loved Hogues, Herrett's on Blackhawks and Pachmayr's on snubies (except N-frames).

Loads: The Silvertip should perform well as would any bullet with controlled expansion. You don't want too sturdy a bullet but you don't want something that expands too quickly. The equivalent
(in a pistol) of a Core-0likt or Nosler.

catfish621

Single-Sixer
A steel gripframe would give you a little more weight to deal with the recoil. I learned to let the gun roll instead of fighting it but you have to remember that there is not much difference between 41 and 44, they both kick. I also believe in the heavy cast at around 1100 fps will do anything you want.

BearBio

Buckeye
Normally, I do not like the modern Bisley grips on a pistol. Being a traditionalist, I like the true Bisley grip found on Colt's. However, I bought a pair of .45 Birdsheads and hated the birdshead grips. I switched frames to a regular plow handle and a Bisley grip. Being "Old Model" Vaqueros, I was interested in bear loads for the PNW. I liked the plow handle conversion and LOVED shooting the Bisley. Sold both guns and regret I!

BTW: I put Hogues wood Bisley grips and the greater both help tamed the heavy (300gr @ 1200 fps) loads.