Cracked Forcing Cone on GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I had the same problem, except my GP100 forcing cone was at the o'clock position - and it was cracked when bought (used) for $200.00. Sent it to Ruger, they replaced it for free with shipping included.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I wonder how hot those "factory" lads were ? The forcing cone looked like it had been worked on with a cutting torch, besides the crack !
I do not have any forcing cone damage on my revolvers that look like that and I have owned them for many years and shot 1000's of full power rounds through them.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Look closely. The amount of erosion indicates that the barrel was soft and not up to snuff, or the ammo was seriously bad stuff.

Based on my other Rugers, I would suspect the ammo.

Yes I have not known Ruger to be accused of soft steel, and if it's not that gas seen some serious high pressure! I am known to load quite hot and all mine have seen serious round counts and look nothing like that. From what I can see of the top strap it does not appear to be from overpressure loads, as I don't see any flame cutting.

The more I look at it it does appear to be bad barrel steel.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
I'd have to question why would anyone want to push a handgun that hard anyway? I'd bet it took more than a few rounds to do this damage? Recoil must of told shooter something, also?
Steve