Cyclinder on SBH ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chuck

Blackhawk
Some one did something to it so it will go backward, it rotates fine and it is easier to load, my question is it safe to shoot? Sure would appreciate some help on this.

Enigma

Hunter
chuck said:
Some one did something to it so it will go backward, it rotates fine and it is easier to load, my question is it safe to shoot? Sure would appreciate some help on this.

A common modification, and one very easily and inexpensively corrected (normally, depending on how it was done). As gramps stated, as long as the gun is otherwise functioning correctly, it does not represent a safety issue.

The link shows how this is normally done. Reversing it requires replacing the pawl, which is an inexpensive part.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/freespin.html

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I did that to my pawl a long time ago, I guess you could put in a new pawl if you do not like the free spin. I am fine with it.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Sounds like it has been "free spin" converted. It takes longer to tape up your frame to protect against errant file strikes than it does to do the job. Don't even have to disassemble the revolver.

chuck

Blackhawk
Thank you very much guy's, I found the guy that did it he was a cowboy shooter said it made loading faster.

Manchester

Bearcat
chuck said:
Thank you very much guy's, I found the guy that did it he was a cowboy shooter said it made loading faster.

CAS folks like free spin because the Blackhawk and the Vaquero don't index to the chamber on the click. If you go to far, you have to go all the way around to pick up the chamber you missed.

The New Vaquero indexes on the chamber at the click.

I guess I'm just slow I missed what the fellow was asking entirely. Also, I kind of figure the rotating of a Blackhawk cylinder to load it is like reassembling my MkI. If you read the instructions, and have the comprehension skills to understand what you have read, doing either is simple and fool proof.

Maybe some folks should just be left sitting in a chair playing with a Yo Yo. Jacks would require too much hand / eye coordination. :roll:

s4s4u

Hunter
Jeepnik said:
I guess I'm just slow I missed what the fellow was asking entirely. Also, I kind of figure the rotating of a Blackhawk cylinder to load it is like reassembling my MkI. If you read the instructions, and have the comprehension skills to understand what you have read, doing either is simple and fool proof.

Maybe some folks should just be left sitting in a chair playing with a Yo Yo. Jacks would require too much hand / eye coordination. :roll:

Free spin pawl serves a purpose, just because it isn't suited to your purpose is no reason to slight those who find it to their liking.