SBH Front Sight Factory Notched for Inserts ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

geo57

Single-Sixer
Twice in the last couple of weeks I have seen Super Blackhawk front sights on older revolvers for auction with an open notch that appears to be for a colored insert . One was a Liberty and the other an early 80's. Was this ever a factory maneuver or likely done by a gunsmith for someone ? I've been around them for about 40 years, owned several, ogled scads of them at shows and online auction sites and had never seen this before. Thanks.

Once was a fairly common and desired "custom" modification done by your friendly gunschmidt. I don't think it was ever a factory item on a Ruger single action, but think it was on some of the Security Sixes. At least it seems to me that it was.

As 'arfmel' said above, not on the Single action guns, but they did on the Security sixes,some Redhawks, etc.,,..........
as for the Single actions this was quite common back in the 70's and 80's and I know our shop did MANY, many over the years, back then the best, easiest stuff to use was called "Lees Red Ramp" sight kits, you had to cut ,dovetail the front blade and mix up a quick red colored two part epoxy mix, worked good,,,,,He died and the company went under. Now you have to make the cuts, and use a 5 minute epoxy , tint it with some orange or red paint, and do the same,,,,to me just NOT the same and we can tell in a glance............
just easier, simpler to coat the slant of the blade, paint, nail polish, whatever, and can change it or remove it as needed with no harm or damage to the blade, OR "devalue" a nice revolver 8) :roll: :wink: