45 v 44 practical accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Do you think off the shelf the 45 or 44 BH or red hawk are equally accurate. accurate whether w

• A. . 44 & 45 equal Equally practically accurate

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • B. 44 more accuracy

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • C. 45 most accurate

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • D. Out of box neither is accurate enough to deer hunt with

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've shot tons of both. There is no practical difference in accuracy.

There are fans of both cartridges that might argue one is more accurate than the other, but accuracy is dependent on matching the bullet and load to the gun. Every gun has its preferred loads.

gunman42782

Hunter
I agree with Wayno with one exception. Ruger was notorious for having undersized throats in the .45 Colt Blackhawks. The old ones just wouldn't shoot great at all until you had the throats reamed out to proper size. I currently own a new stainless Blackhawk in .45 Colt that shoots wonderful, so I am assuming that after all these years of people complaining they finally reamed them out properly.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think the poll is impractical.

Too many variables to be acceptable & get the answer you seek.
2 identical guns can be built back to back, and one be much better than the other.
Caliber is subjective as well.

You seek a simple answer,, yet there isn't such a thing.

Rclark

Hunter
FWIW, the 'cartridge' doesn't matter ... Both can be as accurate as can be. It's the precision of the revolver that matters. I have and shoot both. Yes, I've had to ream my .45s to make the throats right, but that has nothing to do with the cartridge itself.

jack black

Blackhawk
Simple question why can not anyone answer it?? The 44 hands down the 45 off the shelf well many STILL have throat issues and need work .

kennisondan

Bearcat
THANK YOU ALL. I'm bad about not wanting to part with a weapon once in hand. Unless I either go new or determine how to diagnose that problem I have reservations. About older 45s. I'll read up on readers n reaming n tight throats.
Dk

contender

Ruger Guru
If,, if,, a .45 Colt happens to have tight throats,, it's an EASY thing to ship the cylinder to one of the 2 members here that offer that service. 2dogs & DougGuy both offer excellent service,, fast turnaround,, and very reasonable pricing.

Buying a new gun,, you can not tell ANYTHING about how it will shoot,,, until you try it. And even then,, depending upon the ammo choice(s) it can be good or bad. No matter the caliber.

I have seen tight guns shoot good AND crappy,, and I've seen loose guns shoot excellent,, or crappy as well. As I said at first,, too many variables.

bogus bill

Hunter
I have some of both but more .44 specials. I just feel a little more safe with the thicker cylinder walls on the .44 special. They both in smith and colt shoot better than me.
https://i.postimg.cc/HsXtMnjB/top-S-W-25-5-bottom-S-W-24-3.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/jdPGjsTr/Colt-SAA-45-SA-47021-lower-Colt-SAA-22235-44-special.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/B6Z7wvHt/Ruger-44-spec-520-23413.jpg

smith1961

Blackhawk
This Poll was somewhat short lived, I didn't see it until today (Weird)
I'm only 59 years young, and pretty much lived and breathed guns since 1975. Probably the MOST ambiguous question posed in my lifetime.
:eek:

LAH

Buckeye
Began shooting the 44 about 1975 & the 45 in 1977. The 44 had been easier to hit with for me.

I have owned both, both are capable of fine accuracy, but the 44 is probably less picky about how you get there.

I have not ;oaded for the 44 as I parted ways for a couple reasons, and went with the 45 cal for both my hunting and self defense purposes. The 45 acp in a 1911 for obvious reasons for self defense, and the 45 Colt for its versatility. I can load 180 to 320 grains in the 44 with efficient results, but the 45 Colt for me shines on the heavier end, giving me a little more ooomph for the bigger more dangerous game, as I find my 200 to 340 grain bullets to give the same accuracy and slightly more energy with those big boys.
MG-6391.jpg

20180118-162944-1.jpg

Plus using 460 S&W cases, I have the luxury of 5/8 oz shot loads running in excess of 1200 fps, better ballistics and pattern than the 410 Judge. At 25 yards full penetration on full water bottles are impressive
Loaded.jpg

full-WB-15_-I.jpg

Both are fine big game calibers, and probably more accurate than most using them. But the Big Colt is much more versatile for my field needs and big game needs.

m657

Buckeye
WAYNO said:
I've shot tons of both. There is no practical difference in accuracy.

There are fans of both cartridges that might argue one is more accurate than the other, but accuracy is dependent on matching the bullet and load to the gun. Every gun has its preferred loads.

AGREE

Rodfac

Blackhawk
As a practical matter, I've had great success with both, but right out of the box, the .44 Special has been better. All of my .44 Spl's (two 4-5/8" Ruger FTBH's, a 5-1/2" Ruger FTBH, & a 6-1/2" S&W M24) have adj. sights and that may have made the difference.

My two .45's (a 4-5/8" Ruger NV & at Colt SAA with a 7-1/2" tube) will do 2 to 2-1/2" gps at 25 yds from a rest of course, but the .44's reduce that by 3/4" on average. Quality sights do make a difference however, and the Ruger NV had undersized throats til fixed by Cylindersmith. YMMv, Rod

The Norseman

Blackhawk
smith1961 said:
This Poll was somewhat short lived, I didn't see it until today (Weird)
I'm only 59 years young, and pretty much lived and breathed guns since 1975. Probably the MOST ambiguous question posed in my lifetime.
:eek:

I'm with you. I'm just 60, and same here on Guns and Reloading.

Original Poster - 45 vs 44 practical accuracy is how the Cylinder
and Barrel Tolerances are cut when made. I won't get into the
myriad of other Factors needed for Accuracy.

The Best to you and your Endeavors. Be Safe out there.

Man I wish we could Post Pictures like the S&W site.