modify / replace sight - shiny OV 45 OR REPLACE GUN

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kennisondan

Bearcat
Large old shiny BHead vaquero
Get a BH w adjustable versus modify old vaquero...front n rear replacement to aperatore peep or target adj rear and hunting post w gold top or imbed gold wire into front sight for different distances or finer sighting.
I'd live w orig. adjustable sights on a bisley or Blackhawk. Deer hunting opportunity targets and self protection are my uses. I like 6 to 7.5" bbls
Per Another thread I may trade, or sell n buy.
I'm ready for either 44 or 45; have 500 jrh and had 475 but kinda a lot of gun.
( packed ten mm a season no shots)
So change bird head add sights or replace it ?
Dk

recumbent said:
I would replace it.

+1.

Modifying your Vaquero could potentially run into serious $$$, and you'd end up with a gun that's sort of an oddball. (I'm trying to be charitable. :p)

There are enough adjustable-sight guns around that you should be able to find something to your liking w/o too much trouble.

Also: much easier to modify the adjustable-sighted gun to get it "perfect" as you use it over time. Screwed-on front sight, easily replaceable rear sight blades, etc.

Gold bead front sights, aperture or v-notch rear sights are readily available from any number of suppliers. I think you could even find a front sight w/gold bar inlays, if you ask/look around a bit. One of the custom 'smiths might even have one ready to go.

No need to "Bubba" up your Vaquero! Happy tinkering! :mrgreen:

Enigma

Hunter
To have it done professionally, the cost would probably exceed the cost of replacing the gun. There are several revolversmiths who offer installation of adjustable sights on fixed-sight revolvers. None of the GOOD ones work for cheap. Either sell the Vaquero and buy a Blackhawk, or simply buy a Blackhawk.

DHD

Single-Sixer
Yeah, you can replace the Vaquero front sight with something easier to see, but as noted by others, it ain't cheap. I have a Bisquero that I despised the front sight and sent it to Clements for an upgrade. That snowballed and when it returned it was something else. The something else is a masterpiece, but a VERY expensive masterpiece.

In my opinion a Vaquero is a Vaquero. I never have been bothered by a Blackhawk's sights as I can change those at will (the stainless one's specifically). Keep in mind that if you get a blued BH, you are still stuck with whatever front sight is in it now. If you want to change it, that will require a trip to someone what can solder on another sight or can mill a slot for replacement blades (that would be my preferred way of doing it). I'm a fan of stainless revolvers so my opinion is probably slanted that direction. As far as BH rear sights go, a Bowen rear is really as good as they are reputed to be...

Get that Blackhawk and keep the Vaquero for whatever.