SP 101 .327 pierced primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
I posted a longer version of this over on cast boolits. Short version is that a .32 S&W load that was fine in a j frame smith got pierced primers in the SP101 .327. Also tough extraction. I did some more searching and found several online references to pierced primers in other Ruger .327 guns. Anyone else experiencing this? Did you find a solution?

SAJohn

Hunter
Only slightly off topic but my 2nd generation Colt SAA would pierce about 80 percent of all loads even with the hardest of primers. A reduced power aftermarket mainspring solved the problem.

John

I used Federal 205M's from the get go in mine. I load as hot as any loads I've seen for the FA 97, and had great results for accuracy or velocity, bone stock, if I had reamed the chanbers I think that one chamber would have plated with the other 6!
Sledghamer-at-50-yards-copy.jpg

132-gr-Penta-HP-100-yards-I.jpg

If your shooting full house loads I recommend a small rifle primer as your shooting magnum center fire rifle pressures

If your shooting full house loads I recommend a small rifle primer as your shooting magnum center fire rifle pressures

I've reloaded many, many 327 rounds, and have only used CCI small rifle primers. Never one pierced primer. I've also not had any problems with stuck cases either. However, I'm not shooting a LCR.

I've also found HS-6 powder to be the most accurate, but that's probably a gun by gun difference as to which powder is the most accurate.

MZ5

Bearcat
I've fired 32 Auto, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum, and 327 Federal Magnum factory ammunition in my SP101. I've also fired various handloads, though none loaded up to maximum 327 Fed. pressure.

I _HAVE_ recently experienced pierced primers. I was shooting some 32 S&W Long lead wadcutter ammo the other day, from S&B. It's very mild, as one expects from 32 S&W Long, so clearly NOT an over-pressure problem. The primers on about 1/3 of the cartridges I fired are blackened and (very nearly?) pierced. Nothing bad came backwards, and I only know what happened because of the blackening on that ~1/3. The rest are normal-looking.

I'm not sure how many rounds I've fired in total through this gun; a few hundred, perhaps. These cartridges from the other day are the only ones I've experienced this condition from, that I can recall.

HTH.

Reno

Bearcat
I experienced the same thing with a Single Seven I just acquired in .327. Primers blackened and apparently pierced (couldn't confirm with light or probing with needle) on about half the Magtech .32 S&W Long light wadcutter loads I fired. No problem with BB hard cast .32 H&R mag loads. There was a slight irregularity on the firing pin tip that I've since emoried off, and the FP seems within spec. What did you find out?

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I had old Alcan primers that pierced and blackened the primer every shot with my . 32 magnum loads. Switched to CCI and no more problems.