Interesting Vaquero on S&W Forum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I'll admit I'm not much of a single action guy so .... this looks like a mighty fancy Vaquero a member of the S&W Forum has questions about.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/firearms-knives-other-brands/610790-ruger-vaquero-value-question.html?posted=1#post140669310

Common?
Rare?
Distributor Edition?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I'm not a member there,, so I can't post comments there.

It's a Davidson's exclusive from several years ago. There were 12 variations of engraved, gold inlaid cylinder Vaqueros. And yes,, it's an original Vaquero. Some of the variations are quite limited in production numbers & more valuable than others. I remember when they came out,, and I was able to snag a few of the rarer ones myself. Hank Green did a NICE display of all the variations at an RCA show once if I recall correctly.
The 45 Colt ones were a bit more common than some others.

yes, and we recall they were NOT a great seller for them and Davidsons bought out all the remaining stock, and sold them CHEAP, two dealer friends of mine got them for $289 apiece, I know I took two of them and still had a hard time moving them at the OGCA back then,,,,,,,,oh well deals are deals , the 50th anniv .(1999) autos went out at $189 by the way, and the 50th anniversary 357/44 mag Blackhawks, CDNN closed them out ,with a glass show case too boot, and they went for UNDER $950 shipped!!! 8) :roll: :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
The uncataloged, short bbl .44 mags were not made in any quantity. The blued or stainless ones brought a premium to the collectors.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, all of those engraved models were actually offered to all distributors, and as mentioned, Davidson's bought the last of the stock.
Chet15

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
In the two photos it looks like the gold is not inlaid but layered onto the cylinder.
This is sort of tacky, not surprised they did not sell well.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Whoops, I dance the dance of remorseful regret. Insulting another man's gun is not cool.

contender

Ruger Guru
I didn't take it as an insult. Just a lack of direct knowledge. Besides,, that's partially what we come here for,, is an education! :D

No harm, no foul!

LAH

Buckeye
contender said:
I didn't take it as an insult. Just a lack of direct knowledge. Besides,, that's partially what we come here for,, is an education! :D

No harm, no foul!

Spoken as a southern gentleman.