New 9MM "Super" GP100 ...Pictures Added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
To me, the only caliber the Super GP100 makes any sense would be .44 Magnum. If and when they chamber it for that, I might be interested.

recumbent

Buckeye
Looks funny with the short cylinder, look how far the bullet has to jump to get to riling. That doesn't help accuracy any.
I don't care for it.

eveled

Hawkeye
Not saying it doesn't look odd with that short cylinder. I think you are looking at it wrong. It's like that so they can extend the barrel so the bullet gets to the rifling sooner. Function over form in this case.

s4s4u

Hunter
eveled said:
Not saying it doesn't look odd with that short cylinder. I think you are looking at it wrong. It's like that so they can extend the barrel so the bullet gets to the rifling sooner. Function over form in this case.

I agree! But looks odd? It looks pure ugly.

s4s4u said:
eveled said:

I agree! But looks odd? It looks pure ugly.
Yep, ZERO appeal for me looks wise, much less the auto cartridge in a revolver thing!
gramps

It appears to have a huge amount of end-shake. And to have been designed by the same cartoonist who did the LCR and LCP II.

Shame to ruin the looks of a handsomely designed gun with frippery like those useless angled slots and a post-modern cylinder. Looks like the love-child of an old stainless Redhawk and a LCR. Yuck.

JStacy

Blackhawk
In 70's custom PPC revolvers , set up for 38 wadcutters , often had shortened cylinders to cut down on the "jump" to the rifling.
I shot some of these pistols and they were quite accurate but as you said "UGLY" !
Ruger is a little more proud of these pistols than I would be , too pricy for an old retired guy !!

A .38 Spl. would be more to the point, if they just HAD to have another 8-shooter. And more attractive. And easier to manufacture (no new parts or design costs). And I bet it would sell about as well (meaning not very well).

I actually like the two toned look. And as far as the styling goes, Smith and Wesson has some 9mm revolvers which aren't "traditional." The are in the same price bracket as well.

Gotta keep in mind, new and younger shooters don't want the old west single action anymore. I think this style fits more of the poly, striker fired, designs. I hope it does quite well and if the extreme style gets someone new interested in shooting, that's another benefit.

And yes, a 38 would be nice as well.

contender

Ruger Guru
I kinda wondered how the nay-sayers would respond to this thread.
How many of y'all have handled one?
I have.
How many of y'all shoot competition,, where the 9mm revolver in 8 shot is THE gun to use?
I do.
S&W makes a 8 shot 9mm & it is the gun most often used in competition, and lots of shooters love it. How many of us prefer Rugers over S&W?
I do.
As for the short cylinder,, and the "look of it. How many study the design & the costs to produce one?
I have.
How many here have spoken with the actual designer of the Super GP in 9mm?
I have.

Now,, the cylinder was shortened for a few reasons. One,, to reduce the expense of building a whole new frame design. Use the current frame size,, AND use a sleeved barrel to extend through the frame to the cylinder. The bullet jump is no different than any other revolver.
Second,, by using the proven GP platform,, and adding the short cylinder,, it can prevent many folks from trying to "customize & build something it shouldn't be used for,,, creating a dangerous situation."
And while the barrel is actually 6" long,, it appears shorter by the fact the barrel passes inside the frame to the cylinder. Thus,, it give good accuracy,, AND balances quite nicely. The angled slots help the weight issue so it's not TOO muzzle heavy for a competitor.
I didn't feel any excessive endshake in the one I handled. I WILL check the one that we'll be auctioning at my FoNRA event tomorrow night for any issues. I wonder how the comment above was determined? Have you, (arfmel) handled one to determine that?

So for those who do not compete in pistol competition,, or pay any attention to those games,, I can understand the reluctance at owning one.
But,, thanks to competitions,, (ICORE & USPSA, IPSC, etc.) MORE people are getting into guns. And the 8 shot revolvers are IN DEMAND! In USPSA,, a stage can not require more than 8 shots from one position. Also,, quite often,, a mandatory reload is required between positions,, or during after an 8 shot string. So,, a 6 shot revolver shooter,, (such as myself, currently,) may have to fire 6 shots, reload, fire 2 shots, make a mandatory reload, then continue. The 8 shot revolvers eat us alive on our times due to the more frequent required reloads.
Another good thing is that it will accept & perform using any of the current, several offerings of moon clips by different makers.

Everyday street carry? It's not a good choice.
Hunting,,,? Again,, not a good choice by most hunters.
At home self defense? Very possible. The 9mm is now enjoying an abundance of good quality SD ammo choices. Plus,, practice ammo is also inexpensive & abundant. And for those of us who prefer the reliability of a revolver over a semi-auto,, it can very well be a good home defense gun.
Target shooting, informal? Again, it's built to be accurate & can be quite fun at the range for those who like the 9mm caliber, but do not compete.

But for those of us who want to beat out the S&W revolver shooters by using our beloved Rugers instead,, it's a long awaited gun.

I will own one or two of them before it's over. I have one on order,, and I may also try & win the auction tomorrow night on ours!

Oh,, and BTW; For the competitors,, Hogue is in the design stage of an extended & easier cylinder release latch for it too! It will work in all GP's from what I was told. I do LIKE that feature as well.
And,, I've already been discussing a competition holster designed just for this gun too with one of the serious holster makers.

I don't shoot in competitions, but I do appreciate competition guns. I have a CZ Tactical Sport in 9mm, which is just incredibly accurate.

Contender: Thanks for the insight into this GP revolver. The barrel being set back into the frame is an interesting feature.

I'll try to have one before October. I can bring it and the 357 Max to the East Coast Gathering. That would be a lot of fun.

contender

Ruger Guru
Kevin. Get one & bring it to the Gathering,, and we can run them together in competition,,, informally of course!

The pictures may make it look ugly,, but in person,, it's not as bad as you'd think. But,, if it shoots good,,, and improves my scores,, as well as kicking some S&W butt,,, I'll dance with ugly anytime!

Thanks Contender. Other than you, I know no one who shoots competitively. I hope Ruger sells a bunch, but I won't be buying one. My different niche's are already filled.
gramps

JStacy

Blackhawk
I agree with Contender that it is a gun designed to compete with the 8 shot S&W's . I also agree with your other comments . There are some super GP100 on GB and an actual 9MM . All of the start about 1175 , it will be interesting to see what they sell for.

Onty

Single-Sixer
arfmel said:
...And to have been designed by the same cartoonist who did the LCR and LCP II.

Shame to ruin the looks of a handsomely designed gun with frippery like those useless angled slots and a post-modern cylinder. Looks like the love-child of an old stainless Redhawk and a LCR. Yuck.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I just cannot understand how Ruger, after gracious Security Six, Bisley and GP100 couldn't design other handguns to be appealing to the eye?

I bet that popularity of 1911 is not just it's designed so well, but also it looks very nicely. If handgun is ugly, even if it's better quality than Freedom Arms revolver, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Period!

contender

Ruger Guru
My oldest son,, when he was about 16,, went & spent almost $200 on a pair of tennis shoes. It was his money,, and we didn't stop him. But,, about the same time,, I bought a nice OM .357 shooter grade for $175. I told him; "In 6 months,, those shoes will not be worth anything,, while this revolver will still be worth the same I paid for it,, if not more." His reply was; "But I'll look good!"

Looking good & performing a job CAN be accomplished. But often,, more folks are concerned with looks over function.

I'll agree that the Super GP-100 in 9mm looks different,, and even ugly in some folks eyes. You are totally allowed your opinion. I fully respect that. But in my eyes,, if it will allow me to compete in revolver competition against S&W & their 9mm handguns,, I prefer Rugers,, so I'll take an ugly gun & try to whip those S&W butts!
Another thought. My dance partner for many, many years,, was a former teen beauty queen. Yet,, this very, very beautiful lady would easily climb into my butt-ugly chopped up & beat up, primer black VW bug to go anywhere with me. (She owned a nice Camero.) She quickly told me; It's not how the car looks,, it's the person driving it that matters.

So,, if anyone here feels the gun is ugly,, FINE,,, don't buy one. But I prefer to try & support a company that is trying to give those of us who prefer to be brand loyal an option of using their products. I've wanted Ruger to build an 8 shot 9mm ever since S&W introduced theirs,, and it was accepted for USPSA competition.
And for the record,, my personal feelings on the looks or handling of the S&W in 9mm have never been made public on any forum.

To judge this gun on the looks of a picture alone is prejudicial. I have handled a couple now,, and so far,, quite impressed.
The one we had at our FoNRA banquet friday night was quite well received. It sold at auction for $1300 to an FFL dealer who can EASILY order one for less money. And he outbid me, as well as 2 others.

My point is,, I can appreciate how some folks may not like it's looks. Perfectly acceptable. But let's give it a chance to be accepted by those of us who want to try one & compete with it. Why trash it on looks alone?

Contender, thanks for the more insight into this model.

To me it looks like function over form. The slots on the barrel shroud are functional, reduced weight as well as better cooling for the barrel. Same goes with the shape cylinder, reduced weight and more surface area for cooling.

I haven't seen one in a shop yet. But I told my wife I need one, and showed her a picture. Before showing her, I told her, some people think they are ugly. She didn't think so. It really makes me think Ruger is just trying something different to try and appeal to a larger, more poly/semi automatic crowd. Such as people who are used to guns with angular shapes, like slide cuts on a semi auto. These people might not have thought about a revolver before.

I do wonder about the grip, why it's left smooth and doesn't have any texture in it. Either laser etched, or diamond cuts.

And the limited reviews I can find, all say the same thing about basing the trigger off of the Redhawk which mean it can be smoother in double action. I'm glad Ruger is getting it's Custom Shop more exposure with different models.

I've talked with competition shooters before, and some of those people won't let money stand between them and a higher score. So good job Ruger.

Latest posts