New 9MM "Super" GP100 ...Pictures Added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Kevin, The grips feel just fine. They are the Match Champion ones. And the 9mm isn't a heavy recoiling caliber either.

And you are correct,, function over form. But it really looks better in person over the pics. At least I think that.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
... It really makes me think Ruger is just trying something different to try and appeal to a larger, more poly/semi automatic crowd. Such as people who are used to guns with angular shapes, like slide cuts on a semi auto. These people might not have thought about a revolver before...
Talking about "poly" (assuming polymer) guns, after seeing one H&K 45 that had a nice chunk gone on the bottom of the grip, thanks, but no thanks for plastic handguns. That wouldn't happen on the cheapest Tokarev.

...And the limited reviews I can find, all say the same thing about basing the trigger off of the Redhawk which mean it can be smoother in double action. I'm glad Ruger is getting it's Custom Shop more exposure with different models.
I couldn't understand why Ruger keeps two different system for their DA 44 magnum revolvers, Redhawk and Super Redhawk!? I understand that some folks do not like (and do not need) Super Redhawk, and prefer configuration of Redhawk. But, the truth is Super Redhawk has better internal mechanism, and is much easier to fit different grips. Why not something like this; Redhawk configuration with Super Redhawk mechanism, same mechanism on both, just different frames and barrels:

RD04GP.jpg

From http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_double_action_basic_packages.html

Bowen use to have a picture of 7.5 inch converted Alaskan, with Redhawk barrel, boy, that one I would like to have.

Thel

Blackhawk
Onty, I agree that Ruger should use the SRH mechanism in a configuration like a Redhawk. I used to think that there was a cost in modifying the SRH frame into the RH configuration but now that they have done so it would make sense to use this for all the RH models. They would save in production cost due to one standard set of innards and one set of molds for the frame and inventory cost of carrying 2 separate set of frames and internal parts.

This would allow getting a better trigger in terms of pull weight using the new configuration, also.

NikA

Buckeye
Isn't the "Super GP-100" basically a SRH sized frame with a barrel extension fitted with the new shrouded barrels that current production Redhawks have? You should be asking Ruger for more basic "Super GP" models in the Redhawk calibers, they obviously already have the parts in their supply chain to produce them.

I see it both ways. As a "race"gun it makes sense and seems pretty
typical.
For anything else though it looks like a movie gun in a cheap
SyFy movie. Anybody remember the first Predator movie, the
one where Arnold Schwarzenegger tells the Predator
"you're one ugly mother ....... "?
Dave

Ok, well, I ordered one on Tuesday and picked it up yesterday afternoon. See what Contender has to say above. He is correct with his impressions on this gun. It handles very well and is balanced. The cuts in the barrel shroud reduce weight and help with the handling and balance. They should also reduce heat when shooting too.

The grips are large and comfortable. They don't have finger grooves, but are contoured. Since I have large hands, the grips do fit nicely. All in all, it is a "race gun" meant for competition. I can see where Ruger came up with this design. It reminds me a whole lot of the Custom Shop 1911, Look at the slide cuts in the 1911 Doug Koenig gun and it's slide sort of mirrors this GP100.

The double action trigger pull is smooth. I don't know how heavy it is, but it's definitely a smooth trigger arc, with a consistent pull the whole length. Again, with large hands, it's comfortable, smaller hands might have to stretch some. I'll have my wife handle it and see. (edited: Just did, it is too large for her to be comfortable.)

And the packaging! Ruger hit a home run with this model. It comes with an SKB hard case and a certificate of authenticity and a Ruger Coin. It's nice and shows they put some thought into how the gun will sell and probably who will buy it.

Aa8L1oCl.jpg

It's definitely a sharp looking gun. The grips fit perfectly. The whole appearance of this gun is well put together. It's a large gun, but the proportions are just right. Nothing seems out of place. You don't notice the shortened cylinder. And the barrel is set back does indeed mean it's a 6 inch barrel, with a smaller overall length than another gun with a 6inch barrel.
GVrK3wOl.jpg

The one thing I wish they'd have done differently is have a different rear sight. I would have loved one in a dovetail cut so I could slide it out and buy a mount for one of those small red dots. That system seems to be very popular on semi autos these days. I wish it would have carried over to this gun as well. BUT! The fiber optic front sight is highly visible and gives the appearance of a red dot on the target.
GPWOZ74l.jpg

yB4KzDal.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I knew you'd like it. They are actually sharp looking guns when you handle one. (At least to me it is!) As for the rear sight,,, and wanting to mount a red dot. Most revolver competitors in USPSA can't use a red dot,, (without being put in the "Open" class of guns,) so open sights it is.
And if a red dot is allowed in other competitions,, such as ICORE,, then a mount can be had to put a red dot on one.

So,, let us know how it shoots!

Yes, it is. Sharp looking gun, your right. I didn't know that about the open sights for competition, it makes sense.

I'm going shooting on Sunday, so yeah, I'm excited to see how the trigger feels in double action. I've got a 357 GP 100 also, I want to bring that for comparison. That one has a rail mounted on it and a scope, which is actually a really neat combination.

A lot of this was kicked around when the Super GP100 was initially announced.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=278397&hilit=super+gp100

Given the dimensions, I foresee six-shot versions of larger rounds such as the .44 Mag, .480 Ruger and the .45 Colt/.454 Casul. To me, it would look "nicer" than the Super Redhawk and perhaps take the place of the Redhawk itself as well.

In its more-or-less "conventional" form it's not nearly so unusual-looking. I think Ruger combined the better features of a couple other guns and came up with what will be a winner overall. JMHO

:mrgreen: