Wolf Springs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Not a Ruger question but a single action revolver question anyway.
I recently had a broken bolt/trigger spring in my Uberti Cattleman. I ordered the spring kit from Midway and replaced it along with the mainspring. Although it did fix the problem, now the hammer seems sloppier and spongier than I remember it. Reading reviews and watching videos, everyone raves about how smooth and crisp the new spring makes the gun feel. Has anyone had this happen and should I put the old mainspring back in? Or did I do something wrong? Or is that to be expected from a 40 year old gun. It doesn't get shot much.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I would recommend putting the original mainspring back in and use the lighter trigger spring. That often works for me (except when the mainspring is just too strong for my personal tastes). You can always switch back and forth until you decide what you like best.
J.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
There's one quirk about using lighter springs that you've discovered:

If the action parts need fitting and polishing, they feel worse with lighter springs; all the rough parts are felt more with lighter springs. So do an action job using one of many SA tune-up videos on google.

http://www.bozemantrailarms.com/faq.html

Johnnu2

Hunter
+1
As always, Hondo44's advice is right on the money..... (thanks Hondo)...

gramps said:
The headline is about Wolf springs, but you got springs from Midway. That doesn't compute for me?
gramps

Midway currently stocks 378 different items made by Wolff.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-0%2B4294966303%3FNp%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%253A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D24%26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1&categoryId=&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

That's maybe not everything that Wolff makes, but it's certainly a "fair selection" of parts! :p