Ruger OM .45 Blackhawk - what would you do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cubrock

Blackhawk
I just bought a 7.5" Ruger OM .45 Blackhawk in an online auction from a seller I have bought from for years. It was advertised as being in .45 Colt, but when I opened the box today, I discovered it has a factory numbered .45 ACP cylinder in it. I paid a fair market price for the gun as it was advertised.

It is a nice, shooter grade gun, which is what I wanted, but I wanted one in .45 Colt. I have called them, explained the situation, and asked if there is any chance they can look around and/or call the consignor (if there is one) and find the .45 Colt cylinder. They are doing so. I know it is a long shot, but if they find the .45 Colt cylinder, I told them I would happily pay extra to get it, as a factory convertible was my preference. However, I don't really want a 7.5" .45 ACP Blackhawk if they can't find the cylinder. If it was a 4 5/8" gun, I'd be more likely to keep a .45 ACP only gun.

So, assuming they do not find the cylinder, what would you do? Return the gun? Or, keep it and hunt for a cylinder to make it the shooter you want? Having dealt with them for years, I doubt a partial refund is on the table, so let's not consider that an option.

Thank you for your thoughts! It will help me make up my mind.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Not an easy piece to find! Keep it! Locate a suitable 45 Colt cylinder and wrap your hand around it and don't let go. Cylinder would probably be around $100, give or take a few dollars. Don't know what you paid for your treasure and extra for the cylinder may, for now, put you over market value, but not to worry, time will take care of that. The BH was only chambered in 45 Colt for a couple of years when the NM went into production.

Photo would be great for all to see.

hittman

Staff member
Put a WTB ad in our Classifieds for the 45 Colt cylinder you need.

cubrock

Blackhawk
Well, you are confirming what I was thinking. Fingers still crossed that they will find the other cylinder....

Thank you!

Johnnu2

Hunter
If one of the guys on our Forum won't break loose with one in their "stash', I would guess that one of the better custom gunsmiths (Horvath, Clements, Harton, Huntington etc) would either have one laying around or, more than likely, make you one.... They could even bore out a .44 cal cylinder. As you well know, it would be expensive, but what the hell............ p.s. I believe you're familiar with Lee Martin, he may be inclined to help you out...(?)
J.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
You didn't get what you bought. It was probably a mistake, but it also could be classified as fraud.

If it were me I would request a full refund, shipping included, or offer them a deal.

You would keep it but they would have to refund you at least $100 for their mistake. That would be the only honest thing for them to do.

contender

Ruger Guru
Uhh,,, Steve,,,, if you decide to not keep it,, it could possibly move to another local location,,,,! It might just fit in with the others hanging out there,,,,! :D

cubrock

Blackhawk
contender said:
Uhh,,, Steve,,,, if you decide to not keep it,, it could possibly move to another local location,,,,! It might just fit in with the others hanging out there,,,,! :D

LOL. I knew I could count on you to help a Tarheel brother out, Ty!

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Personally, I would tell them I want the .45 Colt cylinder at no extra cost (you have already paid for it) or they pay all expenses (return shipping and FFL transfer fee) to return plus a full refund. If they provide the Colt cylinder and want the ACP cylinder back, and if i wanted to keep it (I would) it's time to negotiate a price. If you can't reach an agreement, they pay for return shipping.

hittman

Staff member
This man got a factory convertible gun for a single cylinder price.

Seems the buyer isn't unhinged about being somehow cheated and evidently the seller is trying to find the cylinder.

Seems patience is the key here. Nobody's hurt or cheated ..... he's a repeat customer so evidently trusts the seller and they must value his business.

My money is on this working out good for all concerned; with that patience mentioned earlier.

I had a deal similar to that not long ago, although it was in a NM. It was advertised as a 45 Colt but came to me in 45 ACP. The guy I bought it from is a very honest guy and was embarassed. Truth is they wanted to send the 45 Colt and have me send them back the 45 ACP. Which now that I knew there were both cylinders, I wanted both. He ended up selling me the Colt cylinder for a very fair price, seems like it was around $50 or so. I was happy, he was helping a friend sell their gun, and I think it worked out very well.

cubrock

Blackhawk
Well, they couldn't find another cylinder. The gun was consigned to them and the previous owner didn't know it even had one. Guess that means he never tried to chamber a round.

They are giving me a credit to help with the cost of another cylinder and a forum member PMed me that he has one, so we shall see if his works. Looks like his is a bit longer than the one in it, so it may need to be fitted, but that is better than being too short!

I'll post an update when I have it in hand.

sixshot

Buckeye
Too bad that happened but it sounds like an honest mistake with someone you've dealt with in the past with good results. And if the new cylinder can be fitted, and it can, then you are in business. Sure enjoy my OM 45 shorty convertible. Deer would disagree!

Dick

dakota1911

Buckeye
Iff (like only if) Ruger produced the pistol as a convertible with two cylinders I think Ruger will make the 45 Colt cylinder for it. I do not think that is free by the way. Call Ruger and find out.

cubrock

Blackhawk
Soooooo....got the .45 Colt cylinder from a forum member. Condition matches the gun quite well, which made me happy. The new cylinder is a few thousandths too long. Not trusting myself with filing the bushing, to whom would you send it for fitting?