Ruger LCR's in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Who has one? Which one do you have there's only 2 models with and without hammer.
Do you carry it? Do you shoot it? What do you think of the moon clips? What do you think of the prices to add them?
How do you take the brass off the clip?
Do you think it has the edge over the 38 special (for example).
Let me know the pro's and cons.
I appreciate it.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have one,, and I'll admit I haven't even shot it. Mine is hammerless.
But I do have a few other gun similar.
I own a Speed-Six in 9mm, a S&W 464 in .40 S&W, a GP-100 in 10mm, a S&W in 45 acp. All use moons or 1/2 moons.

I also own a LCR in 38 spl.
I have carried it & shot it. I use a slop holster in my pocket. The 9mm will fit that holster as well.
Moon clips are NOT an issue with me. Some folks feel they are not a good way to carry spare ammo, or are a PIA etc. Heck,, I USED to be kinda like that. Until I figured out I was wrong.
I have a lot of Ranch Products moon clips & find them to be quite good,, and reasonable to purchase.
As for loading & unloading the moons with ammo or the brass,, it can be hard OR easy.
I use a moon clip loading tool,, (about $30-$50) and it's well worth the expense in my opinion. Makes it very easy to load the ammo into the moons. I made my own de-mooning tool. Quite simple. A metal tube, that the brass can slide in, about 10" long, with a handle, and a notch cut in the face of the tube. I made mine (I have 3 of them) out of an old golf ball retrieval shaft. I took the handle end, cut it off where I had about a 10" handle. Then I used a dremel & cut a small notch section. (If someone needs pictures, I can take them, or they can look online at the same type of tool you buy for it.) It makes de-mooning the brass easy.

For reloading a revolver,, it's darned fast for sure.

As for the differences in 9mm vs. 38 spl,,,, well,,, there is enough ballistic data out there for anybody to study & make their own decisions as to what THEY prefer.

A 9mm has an advantage in the quantities now available for inexpensive shooting.

s4s4u

Hunter
There have been a few threads reporting bullet pull or "crimp jump" with 9mm in the lightweight LCR. Something to consider.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I have the hammerless model, got it not too long after they came out. At that time, Ruger didn't offer the version with a hammer yet. I live in Wisconsin and I conceal carry it from December thru March. I carry an LC9s the rest of time. I grew up shooting revolvers and except for my Mark I and Mark II, I didn't own a semi-auto until I was in my fifties. I have never had any issues with my LCR9 since I bought it. No crimp jump at all and I have found (with my gun) that the 147 grain ammo is the most accurate. Like I said, I grew up with revolvers and was a big fan of speed loaders. I wasn't sure how I was going to like the moon clips. After using them for awhile, I have to say that I love them and they are faster to reload a revolver with than speed loaders. The Ruger moon clips work very well, they load and unload easily without using tools. I have found that aftermarket clips are harder to use. As far as unloading them, you just hold them in one hand and pry the bullet out with your thumbnail. Try to keep the bullet level when you do it or if you put too much pressure on the clip, you can twist it or bend it. I carry a dozen of them in a pistol case in my truck console and I carry 2 of them in my pocket when I am carrying. I have never bent or damaged one since I bought the gun. I also have the .38 LCR in 3". I have no problem with carrying a .38 special for protection and in my opinion, with the right bullet, it's pretty much a toss up as to which is the best between the two. The 9mm would have the edge if carrying a semi auto because of more rounds, but as far as revolvers, it's pretty much even up as far as I'm concerned.

I bought the LCR9mm years ago when it first came out. Heard a lot of nonsense from some that that a 9mm was a revolver to stay away from due to it would jump crimp. Especially from some old fart that had written a lot of books or has a lot of knowledge about single action Rugers. He tried many times to argue this nonsense and it became obvious he did not have a clue what he was talking about. I started shooting this gun and was a terrible shot. It became a challenge and started shooting it frequently over the years. Bought a LCR22 and it quickly became a super fun gun from Plinking and training.
I have to say, the 9mm is one great revolver. The Crimp jump issue was one of the most over bunch of nonsense on the internet.( Sorry Low) Yes, there are certain cheap range ammo that will jump the crimp, but so easy to find the ammo that runs perfect and a lot of it available every where. I like the ballistics, I like the fact that the recoil is this side of pleasant. I love the moonclips. I typically load about 40 of them the night before a range session. I do not buy the Ruger clips, they suck. I buy mine from Speedbeez and they last indefinitely.

Here is a great review of the gun.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

V3cfVEl.jpg

rangerbob

Buckeye
The LCR in 22 makes perfect sense as a low cost(ammo wise) training tool and fun gun. A centerfire LCR in 327, 38, 357, or 9mm makes an excellent companion carry piece. I carry a S&W 340PD and enjoy shooting my 8 shot S&W M43 22LR for training or fun. As far as the 9mm is concerned, the lower cost of ammo may outweigh the use of moon clips. Bob!

Terry T

Buckeye
Bear Paw,
I have one and carry it from time to time. Slips in my barn coat pocket and comes out easily. I carry 4 extra loaded moon clips in a double revolver speed loader pouch. I put the larger LCRx grips on it. It's got a bit of a kick to it (for an old man) but shoots just fine. By God's Grace, I've never had to actually use it for 'serious social purposes' (I hope and pray I never do) so I don't really know how well it would do. I think the 9mm is a bit more efficient in a short barrel than the .38 spl., unless one is using loads specifically brewed for a short barrel.
Last time at the range I realized loading the moon clips into the cylinder takes a bit of practice to do quickly. :shock:
Terry

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I bought a LCR9 about 3 years ago and have carried it and shot it alot.
Didn't keep count but I shoot regularly and usually run 50 round thru it
at a time. Even using +P ammo, I've never experienced a round jumping
the crimp. I'd venture a guess that I've shot at least 1200 rounds thru it.
As for how to carry spare ammo, I use a medicine bottle. If you alter the
ridge in the lid, it can be opened with one hand, dumped into the chamber
and you're in business faster than using strips and possibly as fast at using
speed loader for a .38. I don't put my pics on the net or I'd show you the
cuts you need to make. There's a ridge in the lid that is compressed against
the edge of the bottle to allow for it being a safety cap. You can weaken
this by cutting it in four places leaving only about a 3/32 of an inch in 4 place
at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock in the lid. This will allow you to close and open the
lid one handed but retains enough tension to keep it closed in your pocket.
I have the LCR in .22 mag and .38 also as well as several S&W snubs but
the LCR9 is my favorite. My carry load is Critical Duty 135 gr +P.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I have never owned a gun for as short a period as I owned my LCR 9mm. I bought it brand new and sold it after a month. Reason: I couldn't stand the recoil impulse of this gun.

I also couldn't stand that I was getting some bullet jump, albeit never enough to lock up the cylinder, on almost every cylinder I shot. i brought calipers to the range, took measurements of 5 rounds, loaded and fired the first 4 and measured the fifth, I did this repeatedly and in almost every case the 5th round was longer than it was originally.

I subsequently sold it after only a month. I do have an LCR 38 which I love.

hollywood63

Bearcat
Not sure how a revolver can be blamed for a bullet "jumping" crimp. One would think this would be a ammo issue heck a buddy of mine was given a couple hundred reloaded 357's. After the second cylinder the thing locked up. He's had the gun for years and never experienced a lock up so you can't blame a jumped bullet on a gun just crappy ammo.

Latest posts