Your thoughts on Ruger SP101 in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
I found a Ruger SP101 in 9mm at the local gun/pawn shop today. The price tag was for $475 which means I can walk out with it for $450 cash. It's the recent model with 2 1/4" barrel and has the hammer spur and is in like new condition. I already have the same revolver in 357 mag but this one in 9mm is interesting to me as I have a lot more 9mm ammo than 357 mag and I'm still reloading 9mm cartridge regularly where as I only load the 357 mag once a year or so.
Any thoughts on compact/snubby 9mm revolver?

hittman

Staff member
Never understood the fascination of a revolver using semi-auto ammo.
Not logical to me.
How handy would moon clips be?

1ruger

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Not logical to me.

I have a S&W 625 revolver in 45ACP that uses moon clip and they are very handy and fast. Never had a problem with moon clip in 20 years that I have been using them in 625. I have about 50 clips so I keep them loaded and take them when I go out to shoot.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a few guns that use moons. No problem to me. As for using semi-auto ammo in a revolver,, I never looked at it like that. it was more about the caliber & what it can do,, as well as my uses for it.

I have a Speed-Six in 9mm, and a LCR in 9mm. I'd not hesitate to buy another revolver in 9mm if I found one I liked.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I had a 9MM like you describe and it was the most inaccurate gun I have owned. I like to shoot cast bullets and the cast bullets key holed at 15 yards. The Remington 115's and WW 115's both shot low and left by 18" at 15 yards. I contacted Ruger and CSR told me the gun was only meant for 7 yards or less and I was expecting too much from it ?
The chamber mouths were .355 and I did not slug the barrel but my guess is that it was a .357 barrel and the .355 bullets rattled down the barrel. Now this was a new production gun not and old production gun.
If you want one to shoot 9MM out of it will do that ! BTW the moon clips for the SP101 are / were difficult to find when I had my gun.
The LCP 9MM seems to work better than the SP101 9MM. Your choice your money . Caveat emptor

hedrok

Single-Sixer
I have Speed Sixes and use them regularly in IDPA with great success. They're both accurate and reliable for me. Wouldn't replace them with ANY 9mm revolver I've ever seen. Moon clips are faster than speed loaders and less prone to fumbles while reloading as well.
To your question, 1 Ruger...My wife had a 101 in 9mm and loved it. Again, reliable and as accurate as a 2 3/4" barrel revolver could be expected to be. Traded it off due to her having carpel tunnel issues and, since we have the other 2, we just don't need 3 wheel guns in 9mm. BTW...with all the new self defense ammo out there, the selection is MUCH better for the universally popular 9mm over .357 mag.
Should you ever need 5 rd.moon clips for yours, send me a PM as I think I still have some.

hittman said:
Not logical to me.

I understand it perfectly. I like the ballistics, I like how my LCR9mm is this side of pleasant to shoot before going harsh. I love moon clips. Load up about 40 before each range session. I find them to be fast and easy to reload. I like the fact that I can use cheap range ammo for practice. I like the fact that there is less recoil and noise than some other calibers.
And regardless of what anyone says, jump crimp issue is one of the most over the top nonsense issues on the internet. Have not tried the SP but would love to have one. In fact would not buy one unless it was in 9mm. And the fact remains that more 9mm revolvers are coming out all the time.

0OPluvK.jpg

JStacy

Blackhawk
Hedrok My comments on the 9MM were influenced by the fact that I had a 2.25" 357 and it was soda can and clay pigeon accurate at 25 yards and shot POA with the hand loads I fired in it . Did your gun shoot POA with any commercial 9MM ammo ? There was an excellent write up on the 9MM LCR by Jeff Quinn on Gun Blast site if any one wants to read about his experiences in 9MM revolvers.

At one time, I thought I wanted one but not so much these days. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium over a 38SP unless I didn't want to add another cartridge to my storehouse. In such a short barrel, there's very little difference in performance between the two and not much difference in reloading time between 38 speedloader and 9mm moon clip. There are times where carrying a reload on a moon clip may be unhandy while 38 speed strips lay nicely in a jeans pocket.