How to function test a hammerless revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

werewolf

Bearcat
Going to look at a used hammerless revolver but never did a function test on one. Only familiar with the steps on a hammer revolver. Can someone educate me? Thanks.

BearBio

Buckeye
I've only kept the Bodyguard style ("Humpback Whale") and tested them the same as a hammered model. One reason I don't care for "hammerless" DA only revolvers. But as I said above, I grew up on SA revolvers.

rangerbob

Buckeye
If it's a S&W, open the cylinder, push the thumbpiece back and hold it in position. Squeeze the trigger and you should see the hand come up and the firing pin protrude through it's hole in the frame. Plan B would be to bring 5 sized primed 38 brass and see if the gun fires them. Obviously, a live fire demonstration would be the best test. Bob! :wink:

werewolf

Bearcat
Thanks for the tips but what about timing and lock up? I was trained to cock the hammer and hold it back while pulling the trigger. Keep the trigger pulled and slowly lower the hammer and see if the cylinders are locked into place. Also do the same while shinning a light in the back of the cyl then look down the barrel to see if the cylinders line up with the barrel. Can't figure those steps with a hammerless. It's a SW 640 by the way.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Operate the gun in DA pulling the trigger very slowly; confirm the cyl locks in position before the hammer releases. Lay a finger against the cyl to add a little resistance. After each cycling of the action and hammer drops, confirm that the cyl is still locked in position for all 5 chambers before releasing the trigger.