Repainting the black eagle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Over the past 40 years or so I've accumulated quite a few a black eagle grips and many of them have the paint missing in parts. Is it permissible to use black fingernail polish and repaint them without running afoul of collectors?

If you do it clean and neat ( properly) how would anybody even know? It's your gun ( stuff) nothing wrong with having "Nice " stuff,,,,,, now ,when its time to move, sell something it would be incumbant on you to disclose any "redo, restoration,, change parts, etc."
it's been done MORE often, by MORE people than you can imagine, and all too often BAD, sloppy jobs , and they still deny it..."thats the way I got it" 8) :roll: :wink:

Caveat emptor baby.......

I'd recommend a small bottle of black enamel from the hobby shop, along with a similar bottle of the appropriate thinner. As Dan says, clean it well and then using a toothpick drop a little into the "bird" and chase it into the various areas. It works better if the paint is thinned somewhat. JMHO

:mrgreen:

Cholo

Staff member
↑ Good tips! That's how I did the tired emblems on a Corvette I had, though I used a tiny painter's brush and Testor's model paint. Denatured alcohol cleaned them really well and the paint stuck nicely. They turned out amazing! The key is just the right amount of thinner, I'd guess it to be about 50/50. You want it to flow just enough as mentioned above, then add a 2nd layer if needed before the paint dries!

I need to do the stars and hammer/sickle on my CZ 75B Commemorative. 1st cleaning and they wiped right off :roll: I believe I'll try the toothpick this time.

Cholo said:
. . . Testor's model paint. Denatured alcohol cleaned them really well and the paint stuck nicely. They turned out amazing! The key is just the right amount of thinner, I'd guess it to be about 50/50. You want it to flow just enough as mentioned above, then add a 2nd layer if needed before the paint dries!

Testor's, that's it. Couldn't think of the name.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've been using toothpicks for years with complete success. The trick is to have the paint thinned as mentioned above so it flows into the points on the wingtips and the beak/tongue. Whatever you use, don't overdo the thinner.