Short Barrel .44 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
The Alaskan will give you more options for grips.

I've got the original Hogues, full size Lett grips and now the compact Lett grips, both with Chigs grips inserts. I have come to prefer the compacts.

FWIW, Olcop, I've had the Talo version and there just isn't enough grip for me to get a good hold. I've got the Alaskan in 454 and 480, and have had 44 mag, and they are far easier to shoot and control. IMHO

added: Something you might also be interested in considering is there was a special run in both the plow handle and the Bisley 44 mag (I believe Lipseys) come in 3-3/4". It's a handy gun that comes in Single action. I really like mine. Not sure what use you are considering. But you have plenty of choices.

olcop

Single-Sixer
I'm presently saving for an Alaskan in .480 Ruger----was just idly wondering if a near substitute was available-----I've always wanted an Alaskan and, I'm not too far away, so, guess I'll keep waiting-----although, the 4.5" .357 Redhawk sure does look good in the pics. (and, is available a whole lot cheaper!

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
Years ago I had an Alaskan in 480. Recoil actually wasn't too terrible. Noticeably lighter than the recoil of a full size 480 SRH in fact.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I'm a fan of .44 mag. You can buy it as hot as you like. Ammo is everywhere. And I'm one of the few who prefer the round butt Redhawk over the Alaskan. Here are the Rugers I carry for protection in bear country:

2guns.JPG

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
Houge makes excellent rubber grips for the Kodiak. Actually easier for me to get my hands around than the rubber grips on the 4 inch Redhawk.