Ruger billboard old model flat top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I found a O.M.F.T,.357 with a 4 5/8 barrel. The billboard was on the top of the barrel not on the side as I usually see. Would this be correct or possible rebarrel? Its very nice and priced at $650. This was a large collection with a lot of modified guns. I pit a couple of single six 22 on hold. They have a few OM S.S F.T and a aluminum model.
Jeff

hittman

Staff member
338reddog said:
a lot of modified guns.

There's your sign!

RUN!

Some folks are into modified guns ..... I ain't one of them. "Modified" and I'm out.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Possible that is the case. There are some that are not modified. Almost 200 in this collection. I bought a 41 bisley that is unmodified and a buckey 32 that had a bisley grip frame fit. There are a couple of 41 old models with brass frames. It may be a crap shoot as to modified or not.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
338reddog said:
I found a O.M.F.T,.357 with a 4 5/8 barrel. The billboard was on the top of the barrel not on the side as I usually see. Would this be correct or possible rebarrel? Its very nice and priced at $650. This was a large collection with a lot of modified guns. I pit a couple of single six 22 on hold. They have a few OM S.S F.T and a aluminum model.
Jeff

Jeff,

The Old Model 357 barrels do not have the address on top, it's on the left side of the barrel. The barrel has been reinstalled and turned in 3/4 of a turn to tighten up. It may be a replacement 4 5/8" or a cut down 6 1/2" barrel that needed fitting.

Look for a remounted front sight and a plugged ejector housing attachment screw hole near the bottom of the barrel. Both of which would be necessary for the address to be on the top of the barrel.

The term flat top does not apply to the 22 single sixes; they are only known as windage adjustable rear sight models.

street

Hunter
That barrel should read "STURM, RUGER & CO." on the top line, and the second line should read "SOUTHPORT, CONN., U.S.A." It SHOULD NOT have "Inc." at the end of The top line for it to be the proper type barrel for a Flattop. And yes it should be half way between the top of the barrel and the side of the barrel That is all that should be stamped on the barrel. If you can look at the front of the cylinder and it should have a small "S" stamped on it for the proper cylinder for a Flattop. It should not be a "LARGE "S" The ejector rod housing should be Steel, not Alum. Hope this information helps.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Street, thank you that does help. On my way there in a bit. Will let you know what I find.
Jeff

338reddog

Single-Sixer
So went back and it is correct. Has the s on the cylinder. Is $650 a ok deal or a great deal? Very nice 90% condition.
Jeff

hittman

Staff member
Too high for a 90 percent gun with the barrel turned unless it's a very very low serial number ..... even then it'd require some some thought.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
So I had the barrel being turned, wrong. It is as it should be. I Bought a Bisley 45 colt instead. It has a new barrel on it, a 4.62" with the billboard underneath. The gun also came with a 45 acp fluted cylinder. I know I will shoot and enjoy this more.
The last flattop I bought was a 99% 44 it just sat in the safe until someone offered me much more than I paid. Probably not a great idea buying with the thought of making a nickle or two.