Is this anything "special" stock SBH 5.5" bbl?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Gents - I finally dug a SBH out of the safe that I picked up 2nd hand 3-4 years ago, from the original owner. No box or paperwork, but it's a blued, 5.5 in bbl, fluted cylinder with the round trigger guard, same as the current offering from Ruger. According to the serial number it was made in 2008. I have not shot it since owning it, too many other projects, life and work getting in the way of 44 mag time. I have stock piled a few parts that I had wanted to add or swap from original, since owning it. So with cold weather keeping me a bit house bound, I finally dug into it last night. I'd never noticed it before, but the warning label is under the ejector rod housing. I know Ruger has done this in the past on special run models, but is this common on a regular production SBH? I have nothing to compare it to here. So far a spring kit and shims, were a pretty easy install, as well as a new Belt Mtn base pin and Vaquero ejector rod.......the Bisley trigger however has turned this into a real project, as I completely forgot I had to file the inside of the grip frame to made it work. Just wondering about the warning label though, if anyone has any insight. Thanks Bill in MA

Armybrat

Buckeye
I bought a new production Stainless 5.5" SBH in 2016. The warning "billboard" on it is located on the bottom of the barrel and is not noticeable. Don't know when the change from the side of the barrel was made, but vaguely recall somebody mentioning 2008. Could be wrong though.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Thanks - I have 2 distributor BH models that are done similar to it, but I have a S/six and SS SBH 7.5" that are regular production models and they have it roll marked on the side. I put the Bisley hammer aside for now, the rest of the "tune up/ upgrade" is done and I'm very happy with the results - Thanks Bill in MA

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Do you mean "under" the housing or below the housing on the bottom of the barrel still showing? Which would be normal beginning 2006; the Billboard message moved to the bottom of the barrel.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Jim - I'll have to dig it out of the safe when I get home to double check, but I believe it was obscured by the ERH and only noticed it when I removed it. If it wasn't under there, I would have never noticed it was missing, just not something I pay much attention to. Probably a sin here, but I've been playing alot more with my S&W's lately! Most likely why I had so many little "screw ups" during reassembly, that caused me so many headaches (latch spring jumped out of place, hammer pin in backwards, etc) I didn't have the time to dedicate to relieving the grip frame correctly to get the Bisley trigger to fit, so that is set aside for a revisit in the future. Thanks Bill

msp2640

Single-Sixer
I just checked it, it is on the bottom of the barrel, so I learned something new, had no idea the warning label had been move there since 2006! Thanks for the help! Bill in MA

Hondo44

Hawkeye
When you relieve the trigger slot for the Bisley trigger, don't relieve anymore than you have to for the trigger to fit thru: that way the front of the trigger will rest against the front of the slot, and not move forward anymore than i must be. Especially good for my fat fingers.

You asked if there's anything special about your 5 1/2" SBH? Well that barrel length model is the only SBH that comes with the fluted cyl.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Jim - Thank you for the info on the trigger install. I have an older SS SBH with the 7.5" bbl and previously owned a blued version. I always liked the more traditional look of the fluted cylinder and rounded trigger guard of the 5.5" bbl version just a bit more. I always thought it would nice to own one, but never put an effort into tracking one down. I walked into a LGS, which I may only check into 1-2 times a year, as I'm not a big fan of the owner. They had one used on the shelf for short money and it had "stag" grips on it. I asked to see it, guy at the counter said it was a consignment piece of one of the other employees. They gave me his name and said to reach out to him, if I was interested and he was due into work later that day. Talked later, guy said he was the original owner, put maybe 2 boxes thru it and the grips were made by Grasshorn. He said he was more of a DA revolver guy, so he was moving it along. He had the original grips were at home, but no box or paperwork, said he take bottom line $425 for it. I was there to meet him the next day with cash in hand and could not have been happier with the deal. From all the pics I've seen of Grasshorn's Elk grips, I believe that they are made by him, just beautiful and fit the grip frame perfectly. If I knew how to post a pic on this site, I certainly would, as I'm more than proud to show it off - Thanks again Bill in MA