New .22 project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Just picked this one up. I swapped out the grips so far. Will probably swap out a few more parts later.
Clicking on the pic will enlarge it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I haven't gotten one. But had similar ideas of upgrade "just because" I have the parts.

I already have plans for mine in the silver color when if I ever get one:

1. Replace heavier zinc alloy grip frame with an OM XR3 true alum alloy grip frame, for the Colt size grip frame instead of the larger XR3-RED size in zinc alloy*. One hole to drill above the trigger guard for the NM cyl bolt spring/plunger. I'll use the old style spring/plunger trigger return spring/plunger in the OM grip frame and adapt the NM trigger by removing the spring shelf on its back.

2. Or the NM steel XR3 size grip and no modifications needed.

3. Walnut Ruger grips.

4. I like the checkering on the hammer spur but not enough to put up with the funky MIM hollow spots on each side and back of hammer so would weld those up. Or will replace with a standard NM hammer or Bisley hammer.

5. Replace steel cyl with a standard blued fluted cyl. for a traditional look.
Note: The new cyl is in black oxide because Cerakote would not stand up well to the cyl bolt which would chip the Cerakote finish.

6. I'm most pleased about the free spin cyl (which I've added to most of my NM Rugers), much easier for the kids to load and unload. If one wants the clicks, just drill and tap a hole in the hammer channel for the Ruger alignment pawl as furnished on the New Vaq and New Flat Top; free from Ruger.

7. Probably Cerakote the OM grip frame in silver or black for the contrast (it now comes in a spray can with a two part epoxy just like the professional Cerakote.)

*Zinc alloy casting dies last 10 times longer than the alum alloy dies as well as any tools used to work the zinc. It melts at far lower temps (~410 degrees) than alum alloy and casts much faster. So the reason for the zinc is that there's big money savings.
NOTE: the trade name "ZAMAK" came from "Zinc, Aluminum, Magnesium, and Kupfer, Kupfer being German for copper.

The Cerakote finish is what allowed the zinc alloy cost savings, (which can border on pot metal), because it's difficult to finish with anything else except plating which has short longevity on zinc alloy.