Did Ruger Used to Buy Barrel Blanks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Long time since I have been here. I see there is a video out there showing Ruger manufacturing their own barrels from bar stock.

I seem to recall in years past Ruger was buying pre-rifled barrel blanks and cutting and shaping them to finished dimensions.

Does anyone remember this?

I am going to post the same question in the rifle section.

Thanks.

Yes. :p

From the following thread: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6070337/1

"Ruger used Douglas barrels until 1973 when they made the transition to Wilson. They began making their own barrels in about 1992."

and

"The Wilson changeover is referenced in JD Clayton's book on the No.1 p. 54. Also documented in RL Wilson's book on Ruger firearms on p. 89."

No personal knowledge, just posting from another forum. Gives you a starting place for further research, anyway...

in the beginning, Ruger got barrel cutoffs ,blanks whatever for the handgun from High Standard, and I was told Marlin,,,then he cut them down to sizes needed,,this was all 22 caliber then.............as for the rifles , yes as noted above in the beginning got them from Douglas, Mr. Ruger claimed "too costly".... 8) :roll: :wink:

Latest posts