Gun show price check: Old Model 357/9mm as new

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Saw this today. Appears unfired. Complete with slip top box, papers shipping carton. Blue, 5.5".
The shipping carton is a bit rough but everything else looks great.

I don't see too many comparables to compare with. Is $750 fair? Would have to pay sales tax, too.

Rob

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
That was helpful.

It is not 4 5/8" because the barrel is certainly longer than the ejector housing. Now that that's cleared up and I'm no longer within 50 miles of the gun show, was that a fair price?

Rob

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, it depends.
First,, as pointed out above,, it's not factory if it has a 5.5" bbl.
Having all the paperwork, box & shipper helps a lot for sure. The shipper should be marked either; BKH-34X or BKH-36X. The box itself will NOT have the "X" in the model description.
That's important.
Next,,, it is a prefix serial number or not? Not as many made w/o the prefix as convertibles. Those are worth more than the prefix ones.
If it's a non-prefix version,, it's a VERY good price if the shipper is properly marked with the serial number & the BKH-ooX. If it's a prefix version,, not so much.

According to the RENE Guide; A non-prefix 4-5/8" convertible (BKH-34X) is worth $1350 if complete.
The non-prefix 6-1/2" convertible (BKH-36X) is worth $930 of complete.

A prefix version of either bbl length is worth $640 if complete.

dixie884

Blackhawk
I'm sorry, I really had no idea what so rare a bird as a 99% example is worth. I offered the only info I had..................

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I think I recall that the SN was just a block of numbers...maybe 3xxxx. The outter shipper was stamped in red with a note about the extra cylinder, but I did not note that product code--it may or may not have been there.

rob

contender

Ruger Guru
That's why I NEVER go to a gun show w/o my pocket copy of the RENE Guide. The devil is in the details.
Sounds as if it may have been a very good buy. At almost $200 difference in the asking price & current values,, if it was a BKH-36X with all the stuff & in minty condition, w/o a prefix in the serial number.

Having the RENE pocket guide can truly make a difference. I was at a show once,, saw a fairly nice OM Single-Six. It was a round gate, sporting a pair of aftermarket stags. I looked at it,, thinking; "I think that serial number is in the Flatgate range." Knowing a lot of guns had the loading gate replaced, I stepped away,, opened my book, found out I was correct, and went back to look more closely at the gun. It was pretty nice,, so I started discussing a "deal." I bought it.
THEN,, I said to the dealer; "I like these older ones,, so now I need to sell this NM Super Single-Six." I was carrying one but hadn't tried to do any swapping.
Turned out,, the dealer bought my NM for not a lot of difference in what I gave for the OM. I later sold the stags,, put on a correct set of grips,, added a flat loading gate, and after it was done,, I have less than $150 in a nice Flatgate!
Education & reference material can be worth more than the costs to get them.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
That is a great point about the RENE guide. When I was actively collecting S&W revolvers, I never when to a show without my copy of the appropriate S&W book (forget the exact name so won't try guessing here).

How does one get a copy of the RENE Pocket Guide? Are there different versions? I've tried some Googling without much luck.

Rob

Teddydogno1 said:
That is a great point about the RENE guide. When I was actively collecting S&W revolvers, I never when to a show without my copy of the appropriate S&W book (forget the exact name so won't try guessing here).

How does one get a copy of the RENE Pocket Guide? Are there different versions? I've tried some Googling without much luck.

Rob

Go to the Auctions section and look under the Announcments section and look for the How to subscribe to the Red Eagle News Exchange. It will tell you all about it, what you get for your money and how to subscribe. You will not be disappointed.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ron is partially right.

The pocket guide,, is a smaller version of the full sized Guide you get as a new subscriber to the RENE. I do not know if Chad has any more of the pocket guides. But if he does,, BUY ONE!!!!!!!!