Colt Python is back!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
I know this is the Ruger Forum, but I thought this was pretty big news!
https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-python-425

Cholo

Staff member
It looks really nice! Colt's website tells you about the external changes but not the internal. According to the inflation calculator the MSRP is the same as 1978. I'm looking forward to handling one.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Cholo said:
It looks really nice! Colt's website tells you about the external changes but not the internal. According to the inflation calculator the MSRP is the same as 1978. I'm looking forward to handling one.

Me too, but at $1500 handling one is about all I'll be able to afford to do. :wink:

And Colt's excellent fit and finish - much of it done by hand - is what made the Python and its stablemates the legends they became. Even at that price point I'm not sure how much of that Colt can afford to do in the here and now.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Gotta say, I'm very pleased with the external appearance. And the price doesn't seem too far out of line.

I'll keep my old blue ones, but it's nice to see this available.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
As of now, you can't get them for $1500. More like $2000 if you're lucky.

Cholo

Staff member
The bolt must rise pretty quickly in that new version. Those are the longest leedes I've ever seen on a revolver cylinder. It still looks great!

RSIno1

Hunter
"Restrictions: California,Massachusetts,Maryland"
This is good news for me. I just saved $1500. But I doubt it's trigger is any better than my 1968 Trooper - last year before the Colt bean counters cheapened that platform by introducing the Trooper III. What's with the silver medallions in the grips? Python's were always gold.

gunman42782

Hunter
RSIno1 said:
This is good news for me. I just saved $1500. But I doubt it's trigger is any better than my 1968 Trooper - last year before the Colt bean counters cheapened that platform by introducing the Trooper III. What's with the silver medallions in the grips? Python's were always gold.
According to Ken Hackathorn, the trigger on the new Python is better than the old! It supposedly doesn't stack toward the end of the trigger pull.

I watched Hackathorn's review and it makes me want the revolver now...Ken knows his stuff and he seems very impressed...also, Ed Head from Gunsite says it is the smoothest DA pull he has ever experienced in a factory revolver...and he carried the original Python for many years as a LE officer.

I think Colt will have trouble keeping these in the distribution channel which will hurt their reputation and frustrate consumers...I hope I am wrong and Colt is prepared for the business and can maintain the quality expected in a plus $1000.00 revolver.

dixie884

Blackhawk
I hope the supply keeps up with the demand, the quality stays up and they sell a million of them............

I admit to not watching all of the video.
Is the internal lock work the same ?
I owned a Jerry Moran PPC Python many years ago, sold it for
way more than I paid for it, wish I had it today.
What I did see in that video was a brave man putting that off hand thumb
up near the cylinder gap.....not this kid!
Dave

Cholo

Staff member
What Colt has to say about the new Python:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik-yt5lZEpc&app=desktop

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaCEmWHhUE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jsIA4xeZtk&feature=youtu.be

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuKkIP1yI7g&feature=youtu.be

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I'll be getting a 6" as soon as the dust settles.
My first revolver was a 6" blue python,wish I still had it

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Cholo said:

Post #7 has a good shot of the internals. It's a mix of the old model Python, rebound lever and V mainspring, with some Trooper MK III thrown in too.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/python/370929-new-colt-python-picture-thread.html

The new model Python takes the same grips as the old model. This fellow sells reproduction Python grips:

http://www.deerhollowonline.com/product-category/colt-grips/

I have a set as back up for any OM Trooper or OMM I buy. They're excellent quality.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
RSIno1 said:

I'm sure it will be approved for sale in CA. All the other newer Colt revolvers have been. And if you can't wait I'm sure there will be FFLs doing SA exemptions.

I have old model Troopers and OMM. I haven't handled the new model Python but have the new Cobra. My bet is the new Python trigger pull will be better in double action - shorter, no stacking. As good in SA mode. And just as smooth. But it will take more effort to thumb cock the hammer and not feel as "soft" - meaning the internals not even feeling as though they're touching.

Mus408

Hunter
I plan on getting one and the redo is MUCH better than S&W's bring back of the Classics!

If the attention to detail is there with great quality it is worth 1500 bucks in today's world.

Right now most everybody is "out of stock" or haven't heard anything from their distributors. Might be a while.