Police Service Six Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texasaggie09

Bearcat
Hi, I just picked up a Police Service Six in stainless with the 2 3/4" barrel. I have not seen many of these and I was just curious if anyone knew a production number on these.

Thanks!

No one other than Ruger has that figure and they will not release it. Since Ruger made over 1.25 million Six series revolvers, you can be assured that it is not a low number that were made. They are out there and can be found, but I think the majority of those who own them keep them as they (all the 2 3/4" Sixes) are very popular.

I don't believe they are as common as the 2-3/4" Security Sixes, or even the 2-3/4" Speed Six, but that is a pretty common barrel length. I have all three in Stainless, and they are nice guns, all of them. Those are the kind of guns I accumulate, because they are attractive and well balanced to me.

hittman

Staff member
Well..... Ruger made:

Security Six in both blued and stainless and in 3 barrel lengths so, there's 6 different models.

Police Service Six in both blued and stainless in 4-inch and 2.75-inch so, there's another 4 different models.

Speed Six also in both blued and stainless and in 4-inch and 2.75-inch so, yet another 4 different models.

That's 14 different models and if they made an even number of each you can assume there's no more than about 89,000 of each.

Of course there's always the oddity like some 5-inch guns, a special run for Postal Inspectors that were 3-inch, a few for the NYPD, NIS and even some Speed Six's that were roll marked POLICE Service Six in the factory.

Hope I did my math (and logic) correctly!

protoolman

Service-Sixer
When Canada turned loose their Service Sixes from police use they shipped them all to Century Arms International 12? years ago. Does yours have CAI stamped with an engraving pencil on the left side under the cylinder? If so it's a re-import. There were hundreds of those.

silverback

Blackhawk
I have a 4 inch. I bought a 2 inch barrel. I thought I would switch them out. I have sense picked up a dan wesson so it is easier to switch barrels. I am keeping my 4 inch service six as I have a 9mm coversion for it. The wesson has a six inch barrel and 2 inch barrel. To much gun fun