rubber hammer cap on my 3 screw? why?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevep1954

Bearcat
was a rubber hammer cap something marketed for single actions back in the 70's? i understand the purpose i just have never seen one before. any ideas or input? will it cause rust underneath it?
414339614.jpg

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Seems like I vaguely remember seeing one like that back in a '70s gun rag. I would guess that yes, rust could develop under that cap, just like rubber grips promote rust underneath.

somebody got a "sore" thumb, could have coated it with that "dip" rubber coating or slipped on a sleeve,,,,yes it can and will rust, the old model hammers were 4140 chrome moly, NOT stainless, and yes , even stainless of today can and will "rust,stain tarnish..." it is GUN stainless alloy , NOT "surgical steel " alloy... 8) :roll: :wink:

jpickar

Blackhawk
rugerguy said:
somebody got a "sore" thumb, could have coated it with that "dip" rubber coating or slipped on a sleeve,,,,yes it can and will rust, the old model hammers were 4140 chrome moly, NOT stainless, and yes , even stainless of today can and will "rust,stain tarnish..." it is GUN stainless alloy , NOT "surgical steel " alloy... 8) :roll: :wink:

I have taken rubber grips off of stainless guns and found rust. The bad thing is rust on stainless usually means deep pitting because of the type of metal it is.

Cholo

Staff member
Any man who would use a rubber hammer cap on a single action gun would also buy a boot protector for a motorcycle shifter :)

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
Any man who would use a rubber hammer cap on a single action gun would also buy a boot protector for a motorcycle shifter :)

I chuckled..because I saw a guy riding last week and he actually had a ManBun and a BootProtector..he was riding a Honda 350 Cafe bike...it was amusing..LOL

mod70

Bearcat
Well maybe the spur cut into his fingers, or he had very sensitive feelings in his hands, etc. You get the point.

old 41

Bearcat
About 50 years ago I was shooting a brick thru a Single-six every Saturday, It was wearing on my thumb pretty bad so I filed the top of the hammer somewhat smoother and still needed to wear a bandaid awhile.
Maybe that's why that plastic.

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I have a S&W model 59 with this type of hammer cap on it. I was told he worked in plain clothes and this protected the inside of his suit jacket from t he hammer.

I saw it differently. I've bought a great many finely machined measuring tools and machine parts, and often a pointy or otherwise abrasive machining would be dipped thusly to prevent chafing thru the packaging.

Latest posts