7-Shot GP-100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
How are the 7 shooters doing? I remember there was a case rim issue when they first came out, has that been resolved? Thanks.

The furor over this matter has sorta died down lately, so perhaps it is time to revisit it.

There was a very lengthy thread about this early on, but it rather faded once it became obvious that Ruger had acknowledged there was an actual problem with certain guns and were addressing it. I've seen recent comments on both sides of the issue, so it's still of interest. I know I remain curious about it.

:)

Thel

Blackhawk
I don't know if the problem has been solved or it just got talked to death and went away. From a technical standpoint the frame would have to be re-engineered to move the barrel a bit to the top or away from the cylinder pivot point. This might mean increasing the height of the frame. The chambers in the cylinder would need to be moved outward slightly.
Whether Ruger would go to the trouble and cost to do this would seem to be doubtful.

csnider said:
I am interested in the Ruger Model 1769 in .327 Federal, have there been any issues with this 7-shot model?

I haven't heard of any, but that's certainly not proof one way or the other.

I would suspect, however, that due to the smaller rim diameter of the .327 case the interference experienced with the .38/.357 cases would be avoided. Hope so.

:)

recumbent

Buckeye
csnider said:
I am interested in the Ruger Model 1769 in .327 Federal, have there been any issues with this 7-shot model?
Not that I know of.
My GP100 327 shoots great. If you look at the cylinder on the 327 there is a lot of room between the cartriges in the cylinder.

nn

Single-Sixer
csnider said:

The 7 shot GP-100 .327 works very well

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
I'm about to return a 2018 model I just received from gunbroker. First range trip and 5 of the 8 factory loads had difficulty extracting (3 of the 5 loads locked the cases in TIGHT). Two loads extracted with minimal bind and Hornady was the only brand that extracted normally and they were the 2nd to last load I tried, so it wasn't a dirty chamber issue.

Broke my own rule of not buying proven used Rugers and have to use Ruger CS again. The price was fair and I'm sure Ruger will make this one right like they have every other gun I've sent them. Called them this morning for an RMA, but they are closed for the holidays. No worries, we're busy too, so I'll try again next week.

Stump

Stump Buster said:
...Hornady was the only brand that extracted normally and they were the 2nd to last load I tried, so it wasn't a dirty chamber issue...

Good thing you took other cartridges to the range, if you would only have taken Hornady you would never have known there was an issue. Hopefully Ruger can duplicate the problem you had. I've been lucky over the years, I'm 31 for 31 when it comes to Rugers, they all shoot great and look and perform exactly as I expect them to.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Just an update, the tech's inspected the revolver and Ruger is sending me a new production 7-Shot GP-100.

Excellent Customer Service as always and I have high hopes it looks as good and shoots as accurately as the one I sent back.

Range report to follow when it arrives.

Thanks Ruger!

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Tim,

From what has been reported online, the rim-stick problem was resolved last year. Not sure what changes were made, but recent production builds apparently don't have this issue. I'm betting this new one will run fine.

scubadad

Bearcat
Well I guess since they fixed the issue it is time to buy one. I wanted the 7 shot but played it safe and got the 6 because of these issues. Now I have to buy another ruger revolver poor me :D