Brass framed 1959 flat top .357 with sambar stags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigmtnman

Bearcat
I was out "gun/pawn shopping" with a couple of buddies yesterday and came across a 21,000 serial range .357 Flat Top 4 5/8 " bbl.
at a really good price and bought it. It was late in the day at our last of 10 stops and the background check was going to be longer than we wanted to wait. So I'm heading back tomorrow to pick it up. Questions *** I noted the brass frame was NOT the square back dragoon style but the standard rounded style. I did not take off the grips to look at the frame. Any idea of what I might look for when I do. It must certainly be an aftermarket frame. I'm not even sure it's an XR3 frame yet. Can you fit an XR3-Red frame to the older XR3 Flat tops ? I have a spare XR3 frame and XR3-RED frame on hand. I may play around with mix and match or just keep it as is. I think if I was to sell the brass frame and stag grips and put my "on hand" XR3 frame on it, I would have a FREE flat top left over !

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Yes, the XR-3RED grip frame was introduced during the Three Screw era. Most of my Three Screw guns have the XR-3RED grip frame mounted.

This 1958 vintage Flat Top has the XR-3RED steel grip frame mounted. Original part for a n Olde Army.

Bob Wright

bigmtnman

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. That gives me more "happy" options for a winter project. Your Flat Top is GORGEOUS !!

krw

Blackhawk
Yes, the XR-3RED grip frame was introduced during the Three Screw era. Most of my Three Screw guns have the XR-3RED grip frame mounted.

This 1958 vintage Flat Top has the XR-3RED steel grip frame mounted. Original part for a n Olde Army.

Bob Wright
Nice Grips!!!