Old Model triggers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

444thumper

Single-Sixer
I tried searching for answers but didn't have any luck so forgive me if this has already been asked. I have a OM SBH and really like the gun. My only complaint is that the trigger is too short for my liking. My trigger finger feels the bottom of the trigger, unlike my new models, which have a longer trigger that extends closer to the trigger guard bottom. My question is, do all old models have the same trigger length and was there any particular reason to make it so much shorter than necessary? Lots of room left to the trigger guard. (I should mention that my kids have been known to call me sausage fingers so I will admit that not everyone may feel this way)

contender

Ruger Guru
The Super BH has a wider trigger than the other Rugers. I do not think the length is different. It MAY be just the curve & shape that's causing the perceived shortness.
I'll look into my triggers later as I have to dig into my parts anyway. I'll also check my OM Supers against NM's as well as normal Blackhawks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I stand corrected.
I took an OM Super,, and measured the distance from the bottom of the frame,, to the tip of the trigger. I got an approximate measurement of .765. I then measured a couple of NM Blackhawks,, and they come in at .885. So there is a length difference in OM Supers & NM Blackhawks. I also measured an OM Blackhawk,, and it comes in at .800.

So,, you are correct,, there is a difference.

It may not be applicable to this discussion, but I have always found the OMSBH triggers to be uncomfortable to shoot, apparently due to the grooves they feature and perhaps the relatively "sharp" side edges. I guess it could also be due to the length, as well. Dunno.

Quite a long time back, I obtained an extra OMSBH trigger from flatgate (rest his soul) with the intention of polishing off the grooves and rounding the edges, but then I couldn't bring myself to violate that old piece.

Wearing a glove solved the problem.

:wink:

444thumper

Single-Sixer
I suppose it was more a matter of curiosity than anything else. When I realized what it was that just didn't seem quite right to me, I began to wonder why they just didn't make it longer, since they had plenty of room to do so. Maybe that's why the triggers on the new models are longer....enough people like me asking why. It's not a big deal, still love to shoot them. If you look at the trigger on my SBH, at least, the bottom actually has a soft bevel on it, as if they realized it was going to be uncomfortable if they didn't at least smooth it over. Guess it will just be one of those things we wonder about, like why there are 10 hot dogs in a pack but only 8 buns in a package! :)

akbluz

Blackhawk
10 weenies means the cook can eat a couple of them as they come off the grill.... and still have enough to fill the 8 buns.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The old model triggers are clearly shorter than new models and I've had the same complaint. Originally my fix was to flatten the curve on the front bottom of the trigger as contender discussed. The trigger is no longer but feels much better straightened out that way. I also cut back the front edges on both sides to give it a curved surface like the NM triggers.

Then I discovered the Dave Clements adapter triggers for use in old model guns when installing a new model grip frame. Just cut off the shelf on the back (for the new model return spring) from his triggers and they are a 'drop in' replacement. Both his standard and Bisley triggers are as long as NM triggers, wide, and smooth with a curved front. It's just what you need.

___________________________Clements adapter triggers are the center two_________________________

OM trigger__________________standard____&____Bisley w/over travel stop__________________NM Bisley

large.jpg

They are $65: http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

Here's my little field packin' 22 with his standard trigger and NM birdshead steel grip frame:

orig.jpg

Compared to the same gun with OM SBH trigger. The length difference is pretty obvious:

orig.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
There ya go 444thumper,, a way to change things to fit YOUR hands! Hondo has offered an excellent picture & good info to go with it!

444thumper

Single-Sixer
Hondo, that's a terrific solution!! Especially helpful with the pics. Thanks for taking the time to post all that.

Now excuse my density, but if I want to keep the same grip frame on my OM SBH, would I need the standard trigger but with the shelf on the back side cut off? Wanting to make sure I am following this. I've never had an OM apart so this is new to me.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
444thumper said:
Hondo, that's a terrific solution!! Especially helpful with the pics. Thanks for taking the time to post all that.

Now excuse my density, but if I want to keep the same grip frame on my OM SBH, would I need the standard trigger but with the shelf on the back side cut off? Wanting to make sure I am following this. I've never had an OM apart so this is new to me.

You're very welcome.

Correct, you can keep your original grip frame by cutting off the shelf on the back of the Clements standard trigger. Look at the back of your trigger in the gun and you can see the old model trigger return spring plunger.

444thumper

Single-Sixer
Thanks again. Looked a little closer and I see just what you mean. Very much appreciated. I am always amazed at the cumulative knowledge on this forum. Whatever the question, it's never long before someone post the answer.

Enigma

Hunter
Just a note - Dave Clements is not accepting new work, and has announced that he plans to retire once he completes his current backlog. If you want some of his hammers or triggers, I would recommend getting on the stick! Who knows when - or if - they will be available in the future!

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/home.html

"Site updated 12-11-19.
"Old Model triggers used when installing a New Model gripframe are once again in stock.
"I am currently not accepting anymore work for 2020."