Ok, what am I doing wrong

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbob

Single-Sixer
Always wanted an old style ruger blk hawk 357, got a like new one and it hurts my 2nd finger by the 5th shot. I also have a new ruger 357 that I can shoot 150 rounds through with no pain. OK what is the difference??? thanks for your help

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
bigbob said:
Always wanted an old style ruger blk hawk 357, got a like new one and it hurts my 2nd finger by the 5th shot. I also have a new ruger 357 that I can shoot 150 rounds through with no pain. OK what is the difference??? thanks for your help

Two Blackhawk .357 mags, old one with aluminum grip frame, new one with steel grip frame. Lighter gun kicks more.
David Bradshaw

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
The Ruger flat-tops (old and new) have a different grip/trigger geometry than the New models (XR3 or XR3Red). It sounds like the New Model (XR3Red) works for you and the XR3s do not. You might experiment with adjusting your grip to compensate.

If you've got meaty fingers, you may not have enough room for all of them on the grip. That causes your knuckle to be battered while it's jammed tight against the trigger guard.

I have this problem, and must drop my pinky below the grip, allowing some clearance between the trigger guard and my knuckle.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, your OM 357,,, what vintage? The early ones had a XR3 grip frames,, (1955 until 1963,) and the later ones had a XR3-RED. The shape of each one is different. Kinda what Sagebrush has mentioned. You may need to pull off the grips,, and see which g/f each one has. It may answer your question.

Next,, as David has alluded to,, many of the newest ones have a steel g/f while all OM's have an alloy one. While some of the NM's do have the "new" XR3 g/f,, the material may be the difference.

The triggers are not that much different,, and as such usually do not change your grip enough to where recoil caused knuckle pain.

Pull the grips off each one,, and check that first.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The short answer to the difference is a horizontally shorter grip frame and a smaller, lighter med size main frame.

First look at this sketch of the three most common grip frames, old and new models:

F-gripsquare3.jpg

1. If you have a flat top old model, pre 1963*, which is built on the medium size main frame, you have the XR3 size alum alloy grip frame shown above. Notice it's 1/8" shorter horizontally (closer to the trigger guard), than the 1963 & later XR3-RED grip frame.
* If you have a 1963 to 1973 old model BH it still has the lighter med size main frame

2. If your new model BH 357 is not the new model Flat Top, it's built on the heavier Large size main frame and has an XR3-RED longer alum alloy grip frame.

This is mine: I replaced the grip frame with an XR3-RED grip frame for the extra 1/8" space and it's a polished steel one to add some weight:

orig.jpg

Here's another with the Super BH Hunter Model round guard stainless steel grip frame which is 1/4" longer at the butt (see sketch above):

standard.jpg

bigbob

Single-Sixer
Thanks Guys for the advice. I have the old style with the lesser ark in the frame so I will try the remedies mentioned Great forum with helpful advice