Front sight on SP101 from 1993 is impossible to remove....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I just bought a mint SP101 in .357 made in 1993 with a 2 1/4" barrel. I owned the exact same model years ago and had no problem changing out the front sight, but this one is near impossible. The pin came out no problem, but I've pulled at it with a few different pliers, tried wiggling it as I pulled and all that's happening is the sight has marks along the side like a tiny grizzly bear clawed it. I even tried lightly tapping on the sight with a hammer at different angles and nothing. I was thinking about throwing the entire gun in the freezer for awhile and see if that helps.

Anyone got any advice or had a similar problem with their SP101 front sight? I've worked on many guns and changed out many sights, but this one is more than a pain.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
Never mind, I got it. :shock:

xbpxbQU.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I usually sights like that by clamping them in the side of a vise muzzle down, with tin or copper sheet on both sides to protect it. Pad the top of the barrel, then strike it sideways with a plastic mallet or lead ingot; never fails.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I still have my old factory sight from the previous SP101 and it looks brand new. I'm not sure what happened here, but I'm just glad it's done.