GP100 327 brass issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cedarcreek

Bearcat
I took my new GP100 out and fired 49 factory 100 grain jacketed soft point rounds, noticed ten of the cases had cracks. I know this issue has been discussed before, just looking for some input. Thanks

It has been about two weeks since I shot my 327 Blackhawk. I reload using Federal brass. I had one split case in the first cylinder. I checked very carefully for the rest but didn't see any.

This was strange as I've not seen any split cases before. However this brass has been loaded multiple times, and I figured that was the probleM.

On your GP100, was this new, factory ammo? Did you happen to notice if the split cases came from the same cylinder chamber?

recumbent

Buckeye
I shoot some Federal 100 gr soft points in my GP100 & LCR and never a problem.
I mainly shoot reloads and no problem there either. Some of my federal brass has been reloaded 5 times.

cedarcreek

Bearcat
I was using Federal American Eagle. When I have the opportunity to go back out, plan to inspect each piece of fired brass as I remove it from the cylinder. Hopefully able to determine if it is chamber specific or random.

Factory ammo has always been a roll the dice proposition as far as I am concerned! I refuse to allow someone else yo sell me a pig in a polk, if I can't see whats in it and how its assembled I will not discharge anything known to blow up.

I am anal about ammo and loading components. Several years ago as I have only shot hand loaded ammo for over 35 years, including a lot if RF in the past, I have loaded only one handgun brass, and that is Starline! This includes the 327 6" GP-100 I just sold, and had at least 3 loadings on some cases that used max book loads for 100 jacketed bullets in my own cast 136 grain HP ammo, resulting in sub 3" 100 yard groups, no blown cases, and some ready for their 4th loading.

Before I am blasted, these bullets seat no deeper than a 100 grain in the case, so no case capacity infringement, were worked up carefully, and as is obvious shot in the strongest framed gun made for this cartridge besides the FA or hard to find Blackhawk!

My point is I can not express how superior I have found Starline Brass to bve from anything I have used in the past 50 years in a handgun, straight walled case. I have loaded 460 S&W 454 Casull 45 Colt "RUGER ONLY", 38, 357, 32 S&W, 475L, 480R, in every case the stuff is the most uniform with the best brass alloy hardened but not over hardened.

Most of those are with loads I would never post on a forum, but in quality guns and chambers, safe, but prove just how durable this brass is! The other advantage being a reloader is if, which I refuse to believe, the gun had fat chambers that would be the only thing I could imagine the gun could be liable of to create your problem,,,, I would instantly know it the first time I shoved a case thru my Redding sizing die!

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but at 65 years of age I can't stress how much more satisfying, and meaningful your shooting experience becomes when you control the ammo you shoot! Others only think about cost, but every single thing from reliability to accuracy including understanding becomes much more obvious when you become the ammo manufacturer!

You have a great gun,, feed good ammo!!

cedarcreek

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. The GP100 is definitely a keeper and I also enjoy reloading. I have new Starline brass and some Hornady bullets that I plan on using soon.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I guess two things ! One the Federal 100SP load is the hottest round I have fired in a handgun and they tend to stick slightly and some split.
Federal had a problem many years back with their 32 Mag brass. Some would split on the first firing of a factory round or split on the first reload. They seemed to have cleaned up that problem with the 32 mag but now it has reappeared in the 327 mag. I also like starline , good brass. I many pistol calibers I like WW brass it is strong and thick and usually has a good life with reloads.

MZ5

Bearcat
It's funny. I find Federal factory ammo to be good quality product, but their brass is frequently no good for re-loading. I just toss Federal rifle brass from the past decade+ into the recycle bucket. Looks like I'll have to be aware of their 327 brass, too(?). I like the American Eagle 327 ammo. It would be a shame to be unable to reuse the brass after I shoot it.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I shot one box of Fed. Amer Eagle factory ammo out of my FA 327 Fed Mag with no issues.... Bought about 500 rounds of Starline brass and have been reloading and shooting it (no where near max) multiple times with no issues. However, I have measured my new Starline 327 brass and find them all to be just a tad short of the reloading manual specs... No biggie for me since I don't reload to max pressures and am not too concerned about critical accuracy out of a 4.25" handgun....Just FYI
J.

Wildcatter: that was a great post with some good information.

I started shooting .327 when it first came out. There was a discussion here. It was something about if the caliber would last or just a passing fancy. I forget the details.

I rushed out and bought the Blackhawk, but there wasn't much ammunition except the Federal American Eagle at that time. I'm not sure when Starline started making 327 brass. But like wildcatter pointed out, Starline does indeed make nice quality brass.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Like wildcatter, I've been reloading my ammo for 52 years and seldom shoot factory ammo, except 9mm and 223, both of which I can obtain almost as cheap as reloading. The Federal factory 327 ammo performed as advertised, ie, it fit the revolver and every shot went kaboom and if you aimed it right, every bullet when where it should. I don't think that you will find any statement on the box that promises reloadable and durable brass. I too have the same admiration for Starline brass as it is sold for that exact purpose and has never let me down. The American Eagle is sold as "shootin" ammo and fits that bill. I would recommend Starline brass for any handgun reloading and 500 pieces is a good place to start. For the 327 I use AA9, 100 XTP's, and Starline brass. Different sources recommend different primer choices. Bob! :wink:

dixie884

Blackhawk
The early .327 factory ammo had a reputation for split cases. there was some discussion on various internet sites. Some of this ammo is probably still on dealer shelves. I agree that Star=Line is the best for reloading...............

Latest posts