Super Redhawk 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I didn't know these existing before seeing one in a gunshop today. It was a 357 Super Redhawk. Looking online the only thing I find is a regular Redhawk 357. It wasn't really my thing being huge for the caliber, just thought it interesting.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
As to the pic in the link that NikA provided, this is where the finish/color of the gun would be the deal breaker for me. I like blued guns, and i like stainless guns. In this particular case, the black looks ugly to me. However, same gun in stainless would look pretty neat (to me!).

Not the best of images.

redhawk3.jpg

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have a regular Redhawk in 357 mag , 7 1/2" barrel and it is a shooting machine. If you have some loads that are too hot for your Mod 19 , shoot them in the redhawk. It has taken several deer with a hot 140 grain load taken from the Speer manual. All of the shots were less than 75 yards and several head shots , made them pretty "photogenic" but no tracking.

Arisin' Wind said:
Not the best of images.

redhawk3.jpg

It was just like that. Unfortunately, I just called the gun shop and it has been sold.

I agree, it is just too big of a gun for a 357. Maybe its just me but I like guns the other way, just enough for the caliber. A colt saa in 44 special, a s&w model 19, etc.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
powder smoke said:
Why would someone want a 357 Super Redhawk? Way too much gun for the
meager 357. I dont get it! ps

Same with the 10mm Super Redhawk. Way too much gun for the stout but nowhere near 44 Mag and up...

NikA

Buckeye
From looking at the picture, my guess is Ruger cut the front of the cylinder down to the minimum wall thickness in any other direction, i.e., the material they removed does not affect the chamber pressure at failure. Cosmetic, and it makes a ridiculously heavy piece a tiny bit lighter.

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
rammerjammer said:
powder smoke said:

Same with the 10mm Super Redhawk. Way too much gun for the stout but nowhere near 44 Mag and up...

The reasons I could think of would be that the mass of the revolver would greatly dampen recoil and dampen the wiggles when aiming, just like shooting a not particularly potent round out of a very heavy target rifle. It would still be smaller and lighter than a .357 carbine.

The .357 and 10 mm certainly don't need a revolver nearly as stout as the Super Redhawk, but then again the .41 and .44 Magnum don't really need it either. The only rounds the Super Redhawk is chambered for that a less-stout large-frame revolver like the S&W M29 can't handle are the .480 Ruger and .454 Casull, the latter of which is what the revolver was initially designed around. I've never shot a .41 Magnum but the .44 Magnum is certainly much more pleasant to shoot in a Super Redhawk than an M29 though, and the difference is enough to allow some people to tolerate shooting full-power .44 Magnum rounds who wouldn't tolerate them in a lighter revolver. Same might be true with the .357 with some shooters, although the .357 isn't particularly noted for intolerable recoil out of a typical medium-framed non-snubby revolver like the .44 Magnum is.

StoopidKid

Bearcat
I have been on the lookout for one of these for a couple of years. There was some additional conversation about this piece on Facebook. I spoke with a couple of the reps at the NRA show in Indianapolis back in April to try and find out some more about this 357 Super Redhawk. Unfortunately it was not especially helpful unless you're up for a run-around.
Ruger did confirm that they exist but were primarily sent to the UK. There have been a few that have made their way back to the states. Apparently it was a popular thing to cut the barrel down and then fit the grip with an arm bar in order to maintain the legal overall length for the UK. Needless to say, the search continues ...

79143242_10162543268185134_7878268140369477632_o.jpg

powder smoke said:

I would like one because it gives the option of sights or optics in minutes. With most revolvers you have to remove the rear sight, so it is not feasible to change in the field.

I really wish Ruger would bring out a "Hunter" version GP100 with scope cutouts with a 6 or 8 inch barrel.