Inherited NYPD (?) Speed 6 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Did some searching here last night. It appears I have a 3", DAO, .38 of NYPD persuasion.
The 5-pointed star is stamped on the frame side of the inside of the crane. There are two questions...

There are NO markings indicating NYPD, DoC, Transit, Housing, etc...
Is that correct?

The finish is NOT standard Ruger brushed-satin. It's all a very, very fine matte quite similar to
a S&W Ladysmith model, if you're familiar with those. The hammer-pivot and trigger are still
bright.
Also sound correct?

Unfortunately, no box, papers, nor provenance....but it's a pretty one.

Thanks for the help.

hittman

Staff member
Yes, both of those things sound correct.

You can find more info in your RENE guide.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
NYPD Guns were never marked NYPD because they were the property of the officer. Other than the factory markings to denote NYPD variant they had no other markings. Long guns were stamped NYPD because they were not the individual property of the officer.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
NYPD Guns were never marked NYPD because they were the property of the officer. Other than the factory markings to denote NYPD variant they had no other markings. Long guns were stamped NYPD because they were not the individual property of the officer.

kbm6893 said:

Not actually true, although the Six series guns sold to the NYCPD were not marked, other than the armorers star on the crane, the GP100's and SP101's that were bought by the NYCPD were marked GPNY and SPNY on the left side of the frame near the grips.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Yes, the GP100 and SP101 were marked GPNY and SPNY by the equipment section but they were not marked NYPD property because they weren't. They were bought by the officer and his to do with as he pleased when he retired or went to the 9MM. I wish I kept my off duty SPNY but I stupidly sold it.