old model/new model transition 357 blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
Just wondering if there were New model blackhawks made way back in the early 70's, using old model frames and cylinders, but new model internals?

I picked up a 357 Stainless blackhawk, by the s/n (32-5xxxx) shows to be made in 1974. I also have a couple of New Model 9mm cylinders that won't fit, as the 357 cylinder nose is a lot shorter and the splines at the back of the 357 cylinder look like an old model, not the new model. I have a 45acp old model cylinder and the nose is a lot shorter than the 357 cylinder. Comparing the 9mm new model cylinder to the 45 acp cylinder noses, the 357 cylinder is about mid-way in length between the two.

Frame is marked "New Model" though.

Thoughts?

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I'm sure that as Ruger transitioned from "Old Model" to New Model that some parts originally intended for the OM's ended up in use on NM's.

Enigma

Hunter
BPGuy said:
I'm sure that as Ruger transitioned from "Old Model" to New Model that some parts originally intended for the OM's ended up in use on NM's.

But not finished cylinder frames, I would venture to guess.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Weren't all OM 357s built on the Medium frame, while NM 357 Blackhawks are built on the Large frame , same as
41, 44, 45 etc.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rockrat said:
Just wondering if there were New model blackhawks made way back in the early 70's, using old model frames and cylinders, but new model internals?

I picked up a 357 Stainless blackhawk, by the s/n (32-5xxxx) shows to be made in 1974. I also have a couple of New Model 9mm cylinders that won't fit, as the 357 cylinder nose is a lot shorter and the splines at the back of the 357 cylinder look like an old model, not the new model. I have a 45acp old model cylinder and the nose is a lot shorter than the 357 cylinder. Comparing the 9mm new model cylinder to the 45 acp cylinder noses, the 357 cylinder is about mid-way in length between the two.

Frame is marked "New Model" though.

Thoughts?

Sugar River is correct.

But in addition, new model internals do not work in old model frames, at all. The OP just has a new model which began in 1973. There are no "transition" Rugers.

Cyls can be fitted to swap old and new but not from med to large frame.