1976 41mag grips ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greg_M

Bearcat
Newly acquired 1976 Blackhawk 41 mag.
It came with some sort of off white grips. Supposed to look like ivory, but I seriously doubt it.
I'd like to find original grips for it so it and it's two brothers can be a happy family.

What do I look for when looking for these Ruger grips?
Is there a special designation?

I saw a dealer at Tulsa that had a few original Ruger grips and asked him and he said...."It should say red on them" he looked and then said he didn't have them.
I have no idea what he meant by "red".
Help?
Greg

yes, he meant they will fit ( Not say) "red" meaning they are XR-3 "redesigned" will flair out at the bottom.......your grips will be walnut, have a silver eagle medallion, with silver hardware ( stainless screw and aluminum escutcheons) fairly common and will run in the $30-40 range for nice ones, can find them cheaper from time to time......
also if your gun is actually a 1976 version , it may have the "Made in the 200 th of American Liberty " rollmarked on the top of the barrel...NICE gun, great caliber 8) :roll: :wink:

hittman

Staff member
Just put a WTB ad in Classifieds.

They're super common and well under $50 for a super nice pair.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I think he needs to know exactly what to look for, or ask for. Will any of the wood grips from shopruger.com fit?

G2

Hunter
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=282510

7, 8 or 9.

7 and 8 are miss-matched with each other but seller mentions he will send which ever pair one would like "corrected"

The "collectors" need to weigh in but these all might be a little late vintage as the escutcheons and screw are stainless,,,, and I'm thinking they should be blue.???

Greg_M

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
also if your gun is actually a 1976 version , it may have the "Made in the 200 th of American Liberty " rollmarked on the top of the barrel...NICE gun, great caliber 8) :roll: :wink:

According to the serial number it is a 1976 but does not have the "Made in the 200 th of American Liberty " on it.

Greg_M

Bearcat
SteelBlue said:
I think he needs to know exactly what to look for, or ask for. Will any of the wood grips from shopruger.com fit?

Yes that is correct.
I need all the help I can get.

Again,, simply take off the grips on the gun now and the frame will be marked "XR-3 RED" on them from the casting mold,,,,,,UNLESS someone "swapped out the grip frame at any time in its history,,,happens ALL the time, and now days the even NEWER "New Models" ahve what they call an anniversary frame since around 2005 and they went back to a simulatated old model XR-3, straight down the back, no flair at the bottom..........look, see , whats marked on YOUR guns frame 8)

my bet it is just what it is, a mid 1970s "new model".....XR-3 RED :wink:

this is what New Model grips may look like........

LzjorkDm.jpg

8) :roll: :wink:

Greg_M

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
Again,, simply take off the grips on the gun now and the frame will be marked "XR-3 RED" on them from the casting mold,,,,,,

Oh
Didn't understand that.
Thanks

street

Hunter
The old model grip frames had XR3-RED embossed on the inside of the grip frame. The new model grip frame for your gun will have XRN-RED embossed on the inside of the frame. It looks as if your grip frame was modified from an old model grip frame and the "N" was added before the XR3. Both frames will take the same size grips. The only difference will be in the grip screw hardware, the Old models will be blue and the new models after 1974 will be stainless. The medallions will be different, except for the very last old models and the very first new models. That medallion will be the squished eagle version.

The grips for your gun will be walnut and have stainless steel hardware, and the eagle will be a dull silver pewter type.