Flattop 44 special hard to unload

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My flattop is hard to load and even harder to unload. It seems like the chamber doesn't line up correctly with the loading trough in the frame. When I unload the cylinder I can't let it rotate until it clicks into position, rather I have to press down on the ejector and slowly rotate the cylinder until the spent round ejects. If I let it click into place, the brass hits the frame when it is slightly backed out. Is there a way to adjust where the cylinder stops? Or eliminate the stop all together so the cylinder spins freely?

fa38

Bearcat
If it has a reverse indexing pawl something is wrong and needs to be fixed. All the New Vaquero have a reverse indexing pawl. Just back the cylinder up until it stops and eject.

I don't think any of the other Ruger single actions have that feature although they in my opinion should have it.

Without the reverse indexing pawl you have to line the cylinder hole up with frame loading gate notch and the ejector rod or the case may hit the frame.

When looking from the back of the revolver, loading gate open, the chambers are slightly clockwise advanced in relation to the loading trough in the frame when the cylinder is clicked into position. Yes, this gun does have the reverse indexing pawl.

Rclark

Hunter
Something is wrong. Since this has the reverse index pawl, once it clicks you should be able to back up the cylinder against it and eject the round (or put one in). I just tested to see my memory was correct :) . If you want free spin, just remove the set screw in the frame (rear) in back of the reverse index pawl and remove the parts. Done.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
As Rclark posted, you remove the RIPS pawl and have a free spinning cyl. It's not as easy to unload as with the RIPS but a free spinning cyl has other advantages. It can roll backwards completely around to remove a case with a backed out primer or a high primer on an unfired round that won't go all the way into battery.

However, your gun should work as designed! Did you get the gun new and know that no one has messed with the internals?

If you rotate the cyl forward to eject cases, do you hear two clicks in a row? If so, the regular cyl hand is not allowing the cyl to free spin backwards enough to stop against the alignment pawl in the hammer channel for the cyl to align with the loading trough. I've heard of that problem on new guns.

If you only have the correct single click the loading trough may be slightly too small on the right side; a factory flaw I've also heard of.

You can send it back to Ruger for free and have the gun back in 12 days by calling: (336) 949-5200

I just got off the phone with Tina at Ruger. They want me to send it in for repair but I have to pay for shipping. Since my gun left the factory almost three years ago, not under two for them to pay shipping. I just bought the gun a few months ago. Im not happy.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
historicfirearms said:
I just got off the phone with Tina at Ruger. They want me to send it in for repair but I have to pay for shipping. Since my gun left the factory almost three years ago, not under two for them to pay shipping. I just bought the gun a few months ago. Im not happy.

Don't blame you, the free shipping period should start when the buyer buys the gun, not when it left the factory. The gun sure didn't get worse sitting in a distributpr's inventory!

So that's pretty absurd but I ran into that too. I called again and with a little polite push back, they agreed to send a shipping label.

For an older gun I sent back, they agreed to send me a shipping label that I paid for at their rate of $30, as I recall, instead of the $75 I would have to pay Fed Ex on my own.

Just 8 days later the Ruger is back in my hands. Very fast, but they didn't fix the problem. The paperwork indicates they installed a new loading gate and spring.
I just tried loading and unloading it with three different brands of ammo. Same problems. The rounds are hard to load, requiring a very firm push to get them in. The rim starts rubbing on the frame trough about a half inch before they are completely in. Unloading is even worse, the rims get caught up hard on the frame. Easier to remove the cylinder and unload that way. Some chambers are worse than others but they are all off.

Updated 11/20. Its on its way back to ruger again.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gramps said:
My SBH, and NMBH, don't click when I have the hammer on half cock with free spinning pawl! You may not be doing something correctly? Good luck!
gramps

New Models don't have a half cock or free spin pawls. You must have Power Customs 1/2 cock hammers and free spin pawls which don't click.

The OP's NM Flat Top BH and the New Vaqueros don't have a half cock either same as the other new models, but unlike other new models, they have the reverse chamber indexing pawl system, which do click with hammer down and loading gate open.

My gun came back today for the second time. Ruger made it right. They deepened the loading trough and repolished and reblued the entire gun. It looks very nice. I believe the blueing is now much deeper and glossier than it was. Now I am glad that I initially had problems with the revolver as its a nicer gun than I could have hoped for.

z1r

Single-Sixer
historicfirearms said:
My gun came back today for the second time. Ruger made it right. They deepened the loading trough and repolished and reblued the entire gun. It looks very nice. I believe the blueing is now much deeper and glossier than it was. Now I am glad that I initially had problems with the revolver as its a nicer gun than I could have hoped for.

Great to hear. On the whole, Ruger has been super in the CS department.

just got myself another 44 FT, this one a Bisley. Looking forward to hitting the range to see what she'll do.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
historicfirearms said:

Bravo, glad to hear that! Perseverance pays off.

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I just want to add that I sent my new 44spl flat top in today for the same reason. Loading trough is not wide enough for the case rim. The smaller diameter of a loaded round allowed it to load ok but the fired cases would not clear.
I figure Ruger will get it fixed up but wanted to post my issue to the thread.

VL