Praise for the 41 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I gotta admit, I did almost sell this one. But in speaking with Contender, he said I'd probably be sorry if I did. It is a fun gun in an enjoyable caliber, and this gun is extremely accurate. Not sure if it's the Bisley Grip frame, or the 7 1/2 inch barrel, but it's got a nice trigger and is just a pleasure to shoot.

I know a lot of people here like the 41. Today I was trying out some loads with 2400 powder. It seems, like the 45, there are more loads for this caliber than you can imagine. My bullets are 215 grain Poly Coated. I got them from SNS Casting. I thought they were 210, which is more common. But the package states 215. I weighed quite a few of them and they were all right around 213. I usually load down, on the light side, so I just went with the 210 loading data.

4zs63Bal.jpg

When I first got it, about 3 years ago, I put a little over 500 rounds though it, then it sat in the safe until now. Now, the last couple weekends, I've put another 200 rounds through it. So honestly, it's barely broken in. It was "As-New" when I bought it.

It would probably look a lot nicer with a fluted cylinder, maybe long flutes, like the old Colts.
kKCKKG6l.jpg

The grips aren't custom, just aftermarket. I bought them from someone here on the fourm. They have the screw only on one side. And honestly, there isn't a screw on them at all. But they fit so tight, I just don't worry about them. Sort of funny really, perhaps someday I'll splurge and get some nice custom grips for it.
XWw5cdjl.jpg

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Beautiful 41 , your right about the load versatility, I haven't found one it doesn't like yet, unique, 2400, titegroup have all worked well for me. Don't sell that one, doubt you'll find another like it for a long time.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
I'm sure Contender is right, you would have missed that one. Heck, i still miss every one i sold/traded away, and some were not even as classy as yours!

contender

Ruger Guru
Since we talked Kevin,, I've played with my latest .41 as well. My latest is a SBH Hunter similar to your gun. I bought it off WMG here.

I always advise folks to hang onto certain guns as they can often be missed, and "seller's remorse" will nag you for a LOT longer than whatever you buy with the money satisfies you.

Heck,, I USED to trade off guns regularly. and I STILL have an illness called "seller remorse" over more of them than I can count. M1-Garand, Belgium Browning Hi-Power, Browning BL-22, Liberty Ruger NM .45 Colt, 1/2 dozen Ruger Single-Sixes, (3) S&W M27's with 5" bbls, S&W M27 with 8-3/8's, (bought off a close friend pilot at Ft. Hood,) my first OM 357, Colt .22 Match Target, Rem 788 in .222 I'd got from a friend & former police chief here, Ruger M77 in 243, and others if I really start thinking.
Don't sell it,, you'll REGRET it for sure!

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
I have three .41Mag revolvers and all three shoot quite accurately. Two Ruger BlackHawks and a S&W 57.
I shoot commercial cast LSWC 215gr and Hornady HP/XTPs with either Unique or 2400 powder.
I recently started using powder coated LSWC from Kings Shooter's Supply in King of Prussia Pa. I am very pleased with the accuracy of their bullets and am transitioning most of my cast loads over to their powder coated bullets when I can get them.

Serious fan of the .41Mag...probably my favorite handgun caliber, but don't tell my .44Spl revolvers that.

sixshot

Buckeye
You've got a winner & a nice looking one at that. Nothing it won't handle in the lower 48 with correct shot placement. We've taken elk & moose with ours, doubt you'll need a bigger gun.

Dick

Johnnu2

Hunter
I love the .41's too... Sold my 3 screw ser. #900 and bought these two Bisley's:

Ive really got the itch for a 41 magnow. I had a s&w 57 at one time but never fired it once before I sold it. I was always a 44 or 45 shooter before so never saw the point of the 41. Im finally starting to see the light.

hittman

Staff member
voxsjiah.jpg

Those Uncle Mike's / Butler Creek grips are ugly as a mud fence but worth that aggravation if you're shooting hot loads!

smith1961

Blackhawk
1. S&W M58 Nickel ANIB, unfired.
2. S&W M57 blued 8 & 3/8ths in presentation case, excellent.
3. NM Blackhawk Williams Flattop 4 & 5/8ths with Cary Spalted Oregon Myrtlewood grips, excellent.
4. NM Blackhawk Bisley Fluted 7 &1/2 unfired in box and shipping sleeve.
5. NM Blackhawk "Liberty" 4 & 5/8ths, excellent.

Now will Ruger, or one of their distributors, PLEASE do a run of .41 Vaquero's!?!?!?
:shock:

Don Lovel

Hunter
I have owned an 8 3/8 Smith & Wesson Model 57 Silhouette, 1 5" Redhawk, a 6 1/2" Blackhawk with 2x Burris scope, a 4 5/8 Blackhawk I converted to Bisley grip, three Thompson Center Contender barrels and a 5 shot Taurus over the years. Never was able to lock down a Marlin lever in 41, would love to have a Henry in 41. Maybe one of these days.
I liked loading 275gr WFN hardcast over 15gr of IMR4227, the 210gr JSP over 22.5gr H110 and the 175gr WInchester Silvertip factory loads always performed well for me.
I have a stock 6 1/2" Blackhawk in dad's safe now, the only 41 I have left.