Max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
I shot my oldnew long barreled 357 Max yesterday for the first time. All went fairly well but I am bottomed out on the rear sight at about 3-4" at 50 yds. I am using an old basic Max load of 4227 and 180gr Hornady. Is there a slightly taller front sight? I actually had some full sized sil targets to shoot at and for that game chickens and pigs are fine. The new game for me is smaller(1/3 scale) sized targets so I don't need the same amount of knockdown power and I need to aim closer to the target for 6 oclock hold. At the moment I could use a slightly taller sight. Or, maybe when I get to fooling around with loads it will be different. Max load mag and max ammo all shot in the same location at 50 yds. Still working on it, it does make an old fart smile tho...

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Both Max barrels are long. can only presume you mean the 10" (or 10 1/2" whatever its is). And unless the front sight is screwed on, which I doubt, and change is going to involve un-soldering and therefore a barrel reblue.

If you don't find a load that works with your sights, filing down the top of the rear sight blade is your easiest solution. Ruger will send you a free replacement rear sight blade by calling (336) 949-5200, if you want to retain your original rear sight blade unmodified.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Chief 101 said:
I shot my oldnew long barreled 357 Max yesterday for the first time. All went fairly well but I am bottomed out on the rear sight at about 3-4" at 50 yds. I am using an old basic Max load of 4227 and 180gr Hornady. Is there a slightly taller front sight? I actually had some full sized sil targets to shoot at and for that game chickens and pigs are fine. The new game for me is smaller(1/3 scale) sized targets so I don't need the same amount of knockdown power and I need to aim closer to the target for 6 oclock hold. At the moment I could use a slightly taller sight. Or, maybe when I get to fooling around with loads it will be different. Max load mag and max ammo all shot in the same location at 50 yds. Still working on it, it does make an old fart smile tho...

chief101.... front sight is screwed on silhouette model Blackhawk .357 Maximum with 10-1/2" barrel----button rifled 8 grooves 1:16 twist. Sights were made with target blades in two widths:
* .100-inch; rear sight slide notch .090-inch wide.
* .125-inch; rear sight notch .125", buy some came with .142" wide notch, an error started on the Security-Six, which unfortunately infected the adjustable sight line.

Call Ruger Custom Service and order a screw-on ramp for the .32 Single-Six. Or, a screw-on blade for the MK series .22LR target pistols.
David Bradshaw

Chief 101

Hunter
David, is the ramp from either of the guns you mention taller so maybe I can grind it to size?

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Chief 101.... just lost a comprehensive description of the Blackhawk Maximum sight caper; can't re-write now.

Any of the sights mentioned----MK II Target, etc., and Single-Six screw-on ramp, will need to be filed down to zero the revolver. So, YES, you have material to work with.

.22 Target Auto and .32 Single-Six have 1/8" sights----.125-inch. If your rear sight notch is .090" wide, you'll want to fashion a slide .110-inch wide to match a .125" wide front sight.

The hog trough .142" notch cut for the Security-Six, and which some genius at Sturm, Ruger inflicted across the board, will make precise alignment of the .100" blade impossible. Oh, it would work across a card table.
David Bradshaw

Joe S.

Hunter
This gets my vote too. If you have the 10.5", it is an easy fix. Screw the old sight off, screw the new sight on.

recumbent said:
Fermin Garza has some awesome sights

https://fermincgarza.com/shop?olsPage=products